Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need 2 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Need 2 lenses Reply with quote

i want to get 2 lenses cause Recently sold my 19 & 30 sigma which i rarely used.

For portrait lens i am looking at Samyang 85 1.4 ( Rokinon ) Lens right now. Seems Very sharp anyone here used it on nex cameras?

For landscapes i am thinking to get Samyang 12 2.0 anyone used it here on Nex?

Are these lenses really good? its great prices for me too or can you guys recommend me something? Much appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of these lenses enjoy good reputations and have very favourable reviews.
I don't know if there are any issues in using them on NEX, but I doubt that there are.
If your NEX has Live View or focus peaking, that may assist with focusing.
I don't think you would go wrong with either of those lenses
OH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 2.0/12 on my Fujis and I like it so much that I don't see any need for another wide-angle lens. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only confirm that 2.0/12 is great lens. I've posted some landscape shots here: http://forum.mflenses.com/samyang-12-2-0-pieniny-t67860.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a personal fan of the plastic lenses, I tend to find something older and metal. What is your goal? Sharp? Contrast? lens bokeh?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering how the Samyang 12mm compares to the Voigtlaender 12mm lens. I've checked for comparisation tests on internet but was not lucky to find anything about. I have the Voigtlaender lens and would be somehow interested in the cheap version in light of the F2.0 compared to the F5.6 maximum aperture.
I am using my 12mm lens mainly on the Ricoh GXR and Panasonic GF1 besides on the Bessa R2.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and they're both good. I rarely use them, but they're good. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
I have both and they're both good. I rarely use them, but they're good. Smile

It depends on the camera I suspect.
However, as the Samyang is only for APS-C and more over not available in Sony A-mount it's not of interest for me anymore.
For APS-C and MFT I have the 8mm Samyang which equals 12mm on APS-C and 16mm on MFT.
For 12mm I will stick with my Voigtlaender which is very good indeed especially when used as intended on full format film.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Samyang 85/1.4 and use it, though not very often, on NEX-7. I can confirm it is very good on my NEX. Its only draw-back is its quite long minimal focal distance, but for close-ups I use it with an Achromat.
Sometimes I use it wit my Speed Booster and it becomes a very nice ~60 mm f/1 lens !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
However, as the Samyang is only for APS-C and more over not available in Sony A-mount it's not of interest for me anymore.

The 85/1.4 is a full format lens and it is available in Sony A-mount. I know because mine is in A-mount.

The 12/2.0 is indeed APS-C and is designed for mirrorless cameras (Sony E-mount and Fuji X-mount) which is not the case for most other Samyang lenses that are designed for SLR and the mirrorless versions just have a built-in thick adapter at the back. The 12/2.0 different in that regard, it fits small cameras perfectly and is as small as it can possibly be.