Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Landscapes with Kodak Color Plus 200 - home scanned
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Landscapes with Kodak Color Plus 200 - home scanned Reply with quote

Hi,

After writing this: http://forum.mflenses.com/my-first-scanning-plustek-7600i-fuji-superia-x-tra-400-t70637.html post I spent some time to try speed up my scanning workflow.

I use Plustek 7600i that I bought second-hand and I always use single pass scan + second pass scan with IR for dust removal.
I said that scanning one frame takes 3:20 at 3600dpi and about 1:20-1:45 at 2400dpi, but after updating VueScan to the newer version times are significantly shorter. Now it takes exactly 1:50 for 3600dpi scan and about 0:50-1:00 for 2400dpi. I don't know why it's like that, but I love it Very Happy. Now I'm doing most of the scans at 3600dpi or quick scans at 2400dpi.

Now my workflow looks like this:
1. Scan with VueScan to the 48bit RAW with dust cleaned with IR function
2. Import to Lightroom
3. From Lightroom -> Edit Originals in PS to apply Color Perfect Plugin with correct film selected and -1EV correction to save highlights.
4. Come back to Lightroom, where in batch I apply exposure corrections, curves, sharpening (80, 0.9, 0, 0) and only ColourNoise reduction (set to 10) to kill scanner noise.
5. Still in Lightroom I correct WB if needed plus some minor tweaking of one photo at the time.

It's significantly faster and more reliable than doing everything in Lightroom, but still the most important piece is ColorPerfect plugin without which I cannot achieve satisfactory results.

Above workflow was not found by myself, but it's strongly based on the workflow of Michael Fraser (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pfQ61WTbug).

Here are a few photos taken on cheap Kodak Color Plus 200 with OM2-SP and Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm/3.5 (Kiron) with polarising filter. I know many of you guys will laugh, but I think good results could be achieved on cheap films as well. Of course Fuji Superia X-TRA 400 is still my favourite negative for general use and Portra for well...portraits Wink, but this Kodak feels nice and I like it mostly because it's completely different than Fuji.