Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[OT] A6000 sensor cleaning best method?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: [OT] A6000 sensor cleaning best method? Reply with quote

Hi there,

what's your preferred method to clean up dust from your sensor? In my case I've to clean the A6000.
There are many tutorials around, though I'd love to hear what your way.

Also, first quick attempt was just to use the auto image sensor cleaning from the A6000 menu.
It seems it actually worked, some of you can confirm that the menu cleaning might really work in some cases?

Somewhere I read to be careful with the sensor coating, but I guess as long as I clean the sensor gently (for instance avoiding alcohol) I should be fine.

Anyway, here are some of the methods I've found, which one you think is the best?

Rocket air method
▶ Sony A6000 Sensor Cleaning - YouTube - http://is.gd/s8r7xm

Gel method
▶ Sensor Gel Stick for Sony Cameras - http://is.gd/x7JTs8

Even on Sony it seems blowing air and digital cleaning could be enough:
▶ Sony :ILCE-6000 : How to clean and maintain your camera and lenses - http://is.gd/Gv6Gdk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: [OT] A6000 sensor cleaning best method? Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Also, first quick attempt was just to use the auto image sensor cleaning from the A6000 menu.
It seems it actually worked, some of you can confirm that the menu cleaning might really work in some cases?

My camera is a Sony A57. The menu-triggered vibration does work, but not always ... one time last year it didn't;
a squeezy-rocket air puffer and very soft paintbrush likewise failed to remove some dust.
Used one of the kits sold on Amazon for about £10 -- rectangular pads on plastic handles plus a bottle of alcohol.
Worked fine, though it did need a couple of goes.
Also accidentally smeared the camera's translucent mirror (not while cleaning the sensor) and feared it might need replacing
-- but with very careful application the same kit worked fine on that too.

Hesitant to try any of the sticky gel dust removers, though, in case that replaced one problem with another.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use blower for all my DSLRs and NEX. It's fast and simple. And enough in most cases.

But from time to time (once a year maybe) I do a wet cleaning with something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/308405-REG/Photographic_Solutions_SS3BOX_Sensor_Swab_Type_3.html.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great,

thank you both for your feedback!
I tried with a simple blower and digital cleaning, seems to work indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use a rocket blower, then Eclipse cleaning fluid and PecPads for what I can't get with the blower.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been that the dust on the sensor is usually dry and a rocket blower or occasionally the built in mirror cleaning option are enough to clear the lens. The few times it hasn't worked apparently the dust particle was also oily and required the 'wet' pad process to clean it off.

If you are buying one of the wet cleaning sets make sure it is for APS sensor and not full frame...i.e. the size of the pad.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
My experience has been that the dust on the sensor is usually dry and a rocket blower or occasionally the built in mirror cleaning option are enough to clear the lens. The few times it hasn't worked apparently the dust particle was also oily and required the 'wet' pad process to clean it off.

If you are buying one of the wet cleaning sets make sure it is for APS sensor and not full frame...i.e. the size of the pad.

Steve

Right! Thanks for the heads up Steve.