Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

These 23mm lenses are hunting me.... Soligor this time
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: These 23mm lenses are hunting me.... Soligor this time Reply with quote

Yesterday i went to pick up a Minolta collection from a retired ex-dealership owner. The man had used Minolta equipment all his life professionaly and was also retailer.
His kids didn't care for the stuff, so he found me through the internet, we live quite close to each other, but we never met before.

So, among lots of very, very nice stuff (new old stock items, later more) there was another 3.5/23 lens: a Soligor branded one this time.

I searched the "big Soligor thread" but it's not there, can't find any info on serial numbers as well, it starts with 47.

Anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what other 23mm f3.5 lenses do you have?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this one: Universar http://forum.mflenses.com/universar-23mm-f-3-5-m42-on-canon-5d-t70434.html

And i also have a Pallas version, but never used that one yet.
Pallas 23mm f/3.5 by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor 47 is SUN made lens. Bellow Pallas is probably Makinon (i 'd need to view from side to be 100%). SUN probably much better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Soligor 47 is SUN made lens. Bellow Pallas is probably Makinon (i 'd need to view from side to be 100%). SUN probably much better.

Thanks for your input! The Universar and the Pallas lens are pretty much the same, i did have my doubts about the Soligor, it looks and feels different, but somehow it appeared odd to me that there were more manufacturers that made a 23mm.

Here's the Universar:
Universar 23mm by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no doubt, this is the same SUN made lens. Greenish coating on Pallas (and lack of side view) made me think Makinon Smile.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I could use a 23mm lens in M42. How do these perform? (I couldn't care less who made them!) I've had quite a lot of Sun lenses of that age, particularly the 28mm, and they are usually junk, but you never know with these cheaper lines, QC could vary massively.

That Soligor looks totally different and more intriguing to my eyes, I would expect it to be the best performer of the bunch. Here's one I saw recently, note the 27 serial:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That white chrome reminds me of Hoya, I've just sold a 28 that had that finish on the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same Dave, Hoyas are Tokinas so this 23mm might be a Tokina?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a pic of the 28 Hoya Rolling Eyes I have a 28 / 2 Soligor CD with a 17****** number that I believe to be Tokina that has some similarity to this 23.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you are:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's it. My filing system of pictures is all to hell and I can't find my picture. That colour and finish is something I've only seen on Hoya, but I might be wrong on that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool. I hope we see a full inventory? :0)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hmm, I could use a 23mm lens in M42. How do these perform?

Some samples from the Universar on Canon 5D: http://forum.mflenses.com/universar-23mm-f-3-5-m42-on-canon-5d-t70434.html

Here are pictures of all 3 lenses together. The Pallas has a different coating, it's the only one with a greenish/blue color. Pallas and Universar are both 255 grams, the Soligor is 310, it has a MD mount, the others M42.
Could the different mount make such a difference in weight?

There are 2 other versions on ebay, Hanimex and Sicor. The seller of the Hanimex has it labelled as Tomioka lens, i doubt that. The Sicor is different though: focus turns the other way and filtersize is 58 instead of 62mm.

3 x 23 (1) by René Maly, on Flickr

3 x 23 (2) by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I thought the same Dave, Hoyas are Tokinas so this 23mm might be a Tokina?

Hoya much different. Above 23mm are all SUN made.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How do these perform? (I couldn't care less who made them!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a whole bunch of 24's out there that look similar, I had a Super Travenar ( absolute dog of a lens ) that was the same style as the Pallas 23, including the large 62 filter ring. Looking for info' on the Super Travenar I found about 7 or 8 other brands that were almost certainly the same lens.
I wonder how accurate the manufacturers are when they specify that a lens is of a particular focal length? The difference between 23 and 24 is slight, could these lenses all be the same as each other optically?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
There's a whole bunch of 24's out there that look similar, I had a Super Travenar ( absolute dog of a lens ) that was the same style as the Pallas 23, including the large 62 filter ring. Looking for info' on the Super Travenar I found about 7 or 8 other brands that were almost certainly the same lens.
I wonder how accurate the manufacturers are when they specify that a lens is of a particular focal length? The difference between 23 and 24 is slight, could these lenses all be the same as each other optically?

Just show photo of the lens. There is too much info to answer Wink. SUN made 24mm, but it is not the same lens as 23mm. 24mm is later design and F2.5. It is built like tank. Some like it: http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00ZshU