Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses from Reflekta cameras?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Lenses from Reflekta cameras? Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

Looks like I'll be getting a lens from Reflekta camera. More specifically, Meyer Trioplan 75/3.5. Yes, yes, trioplan madness got me Smile I am thinking of using it on my digital camera...

First of all, is that possible? It's a triplet so I am hoping I can put it on a helicoid and use it to focus.

Second, meybe someone tried some of those lenses... Is it worth the money (M42 Helicoid is 50$)?

And last, but not least, anyone know flange focal distance of Reflekta cameras?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good lens, I did shoot with Reflekta TLR-s , but may you will not get effect what you looking for as cheap 100mm Trioplan alternative, I did try many Trioplans , none of them equal. Register distance of lens long enough to any digital SLR cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer!

I am not looking for an alternative of Trioplan 100 as I have Trioplan 100 itself. I just want to revive that pretty old lens, it looks great and I hope it is capable of taking great pics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have same lens, I dunno what camera it was, maybe Welta TLR or Reflecta.
It's different character than trioplan 100, but nice enough as Meyer
here is my samples

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA, looks like a nice lens!

So you managed to use in on digital? What do you use for focusing?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
I have same lens, I dunno what camera it was, maybe Welta TLR or Reflecta.
It's different character than trioplan 100, but nice enough as Meyer
here is my samples

Both are 3.5/75 Trioplan, but different lenses. IAZA is box camera and Snowcat's id TLR. I too have the same basic lens as IAZA.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat wrote:
IAZA, looks like a nice lens!

So you managed to use in on digital? What do you use for focusing?

easy adaptation if you have helicoid adapter. the tricky part is attach it on adapter, because both not match each other.
I use glue gum Smile

Michael, I saw someone sold exactly same lens as mine with camera, it was Welta TLR Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've got it.

Here is this pretty little package -

Back side -

It has M39 screw on the back side, I already converted it into M42 mount (you can see the brass M39->m42 on it)

I've tested it with my fixed lens M42 rings. Seems like 21mm away from the mount gives me infinity focus (at least close to it), and 49mm (all three rings) gives me nearly macro focus. Now I am seeking an adapter that is ~20mm when closed and as close to 50mm extended as possible... Or course, 20-50 is impossible, I know this. but 20-40 would be good...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine appears to be designed to mount to a set position of unknown register, then the front ring is used for focusing. This is a Welta camera.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat's is unit focusing, the other is front cell focusing which means the distance between the front cells and the middle cell is varied to achieve focus. This is an inferior method and all the better cameras used unit focusing. Changing the spacing of the front elements alters the way the lens handles corrections of aberrations, particularly spherical aberration. As you increase the front cell spacing of a triplet or tessar, in order to focus closer, you reduce the correction of aberrations. Most noticeably, you get the soft diffuse look from residual spherical aberration; meaning reduced global contrast and sharpness. Best way to use a front cell focusing lens when adapted to digital is to focus the front cell to infinity and leave it there then use it like a unit focusing lens where focus is achieved through the use of a separate bellows or helicoid.

The slower Trioplans don't render at all like the 2.8/100 Trioplan, largely because they are more highly corrected. An f4.5 triplet can be corrected to a pretty high degree, TT&H triplets are the best example of this.

It would be much better to leave these old lenses where they belong - on the old cameras they came with! The best place to look for a lens that renders like a fast triplet is to look at fast triplets, which are niether uncommon nor expensive. A lot of projection lenses are triplets and they are always fast. There are a great number of 2.8/85 projector lenses out there and most are triplets.

This 2.8/100 projection lens is almost certainly a triplet:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HANIMAR-LENS-PROJECTION-100mm-f-2-8/221704486874?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Da81b98fe05054bfb82e041acea475028%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D221704487357&rt=nc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot show anything from my lens, but here is a shot from a similar one.

Meyer Optik Trioplan 75mm 1:3.5 by Ney Bokeh

I ordered a 17-31mm M42 helicoid. And I hope spring will give me green leaves and proper lights to test it then this helicoid arrives. It will be interesting to compare it to Trioplans 100 and 50.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand the appeal, that shot just doesn't work for me at all, the foreground objects are out of focus and the bokeh is distracting, what is the point of the picture - the subject or the background?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat: Exactly what lens was that picture from?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Snowcat: Exactly what lens was that picture from?

Well, that picture I just found in the Internet so I cannot say EXACTLY what lens is it from. But I can speculate a bit. It is published on a page along with many other pictures from Meyer Optics lenses the author has.

There are two pictures from trioplan 75 there. One is marked as "Trioplan 75/3.5 M42", and the other (the one that I've posted above) is marked as "Trioplan 75/3.5". So I am guessing that this is made with something like we have.

Well, I am quite sure I'll have my lens in a working condition in some time (as soon as I'll get my helicoid from China) and I'll make plenty of test shots, I promise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was way too impatient to wait till a helicoid will arrive from China. Here are some real samples I've made using this lens.

1. Lens fixed on 49mm macro rings. This turns in into an almost macro lens. f=8

2. Wide opened flowers... The light is poor and it is hard to focus by moving the camera. Anyway you can see it has that special "dreamy" feeling wide opened.

3. Wide opened cat. As you can see, the lens gives nice resolution wide open.

4. And, what are you all been waiting for - bokeh. Just s shot from my window, nothing special.

I've disassembled the lens, cleaned all surfaces and now I can't wait to have this lens in a fully working condition.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. That last one suggests a potential for the desired bokeh rings. In the right circumstances it will occur. I'm starting to narrow down exactly what those circumstances are, which I'm thinking comes from bright, but very small highlights.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Michael.
There's something you can explore. the results showing something. Just find right objects, I'm sure you'll be happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim, yes I think you're right. As soon as real spring starts I think I'll have a water sprinkler as my photo equipment with me to be able to get some water drops anywhere anytime.

[img]IAZA[/img], right, the lens looks promising and worth waiting for it's full functionality. Comparing three trioplans (50, 75 100) is gonna be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've created a new lens... I think it looks very nice and I hope it will be able to shoot good pictures. Here it is.

Look fro a side. From lower to upper parts - 7mm M42 macro ring, 17-31mm M42 Helicoid, Trioplan 75/3.5

Here is a pictures with extended Helicoid.

Unfortunately, this construction is like 1mm (maybe even less) too long to reach infinity so it can focus from like 0.8m to 10m... Which, I think, is acceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job, that's similar to mine. Sometimes I use thinner helicoid to use it Eos mount lens turbo (not infinity but give nice coverage)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are macro rings always 7-14-28mm? I'd gladly use a 6mm one to have infinity on this lens so it will become fully usable without any limitations...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sets are different; sets including a 6mm are made, but I have no idea what brand you should search for. Me be I'll dig in the cellar today, might be I have one or more.

Last edited by Minolfan on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
No sets are different; sets including a 6mm are made, but I have no idea what brand you should search for. Me be I'll dig in the cellar today, might b I have one or more.

Hmmm I could not find 6mm rings on ebay and aliexpress... I'll keep searching, thanks for the information.
If you can find one that you don't need, I'll gladly buy it from you.