Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta XE-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Minolta XE-1 Reply with quote

Does anyone have and use this camera? Any opinions?
Thank you in advance. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one a couple of weeks ago and its a lovely camera to use - tho I've not finished my film yet

I got it body only and have a wealth of lenses for it but the 35-70 3.5 macro balances nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, your camera is gorgeous! Does it have a split-image focusing screen?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does otherwise I wouldnt be able to use it.

I have a little de-silvering in the pentaprism on mine which causes a black shadow in the lower part of the viewfinder but thats nothing really, It doesnt affect the use.

As you can see the body shape and size is more like the SRT series so its quite chunky. It weighs in at 1.2kg (42 ounces) with the 35-70 on it. Although its not as clever as the X700 its probably going to be my favourite user. I'll finish the film off in the next few days and report back on this thread what its like to use.

If you are in doubt as to get one - go for it! They are currently going for £30 to £40 body only or with the 50 f2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I went for it and she arrived today!

Last edited by DigiChromeEd on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh lovely and the 50 1.4 too, droooool.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats,
looks great and it is a very nice camera to use!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to replace the light seals. Mine and those on the SRT101 were in bad condition.

Cut pieces of seal material to size using whats on there as a guide.

I apply a little paintbrush cleaner (turpentine substitute) with a fine paintbrush and leave it 10 minutes or so. It will scrape off easily using a cocktail stick or any non-metal tool. Wipe off the residue with a tissue moistened with the cleaner. Wipe it dry. Its easy enough to do.

Put in the seals. The back will feel a little tight when its closed but that's normal, the seal material will bed into place.

If you need any seals cut just PM me. As you are in NI it will only cost the price of a stamp to send you a set.

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, PM sent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Phil, I went for it and she arrived today!

Probably my favourite lens. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fancy swapping it for a Domiplan?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read this is the same as the plain Minolta XE.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

Its the same camera: XE1 in Europe, XE7 in The Americas and plain XE everywhere else. Minolta changes a model's name depending on the market. Canon appear to be doing that now with their DSLRs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Its the same camera: XE1 in Europe, XE7 in The Americas and plain XE everywhere else. Minolta changes a model's name depending on the market. Canon appear to be doing that now with their DSLRs

Thank you. I guess it would be superior to the XG, I am finding those cheaper with a Rokkor 45mm lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
philslizzy wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Thank you. I guess it would be superior to the XG, I am finding those cheaper with a Rokkor 45mm lens.

I have both, it is a bigger heavier camera related to the SRT's. I guess I'd trust it over my XG but the XG is lighter and easier to carry, specially with the later lighter lenses. Horses for courses I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.