Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AI, cleaning the front lens element.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AI, cleaning the front lens element. Reply with quote

I have a Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AI that needs to have its front element removed and cleaned. Is that possible? Can it be removed, or it is glued to another element as a part of a group?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the optical design it looks like possible, but I never found I good guide to open this lens. It seems (not sure) that the access to the front element is from the rear (from the mount) and this means a lot of disassembling. You have to take special care with the CRC mechanism if you decide to go for it. I think it will be better to let a pro to clean it for you.
My copy needs re-greasing because the focus is to light, but I've decided to leave it as it is until I will find a repair guide.
I've tried to share the little I know about this lens because you have 0 answer to your post, I hope It's not misleading.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken 2-3 versions of this lens apart. They all "behaved" the same...
First, take off the rubber focus belt. Underneath the belt you will find a grub screw. Remove it. Now you unscrew a ring that is screwed into focus ring. With that removed, you will find another grub screw that retains the filter ring. Remove it. Now, you can unscrew the filter ring, which then lets you pull out the complete optical block and aperature. This allows access to all the lens elements, including the front element.

John