Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7 and RF wides: a possible solution.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Sony A7 and RF wides: a possible solution. Reply with quote

So, despite my recent screaming, you might not need to throw your A7 in the dustbin yet:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1340474/0

I will try this, I think, with my own A7.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sony A7 and RF wides: a possible solution. Reply with quote

Smile Sounds exciting - finally a good reason to upgrade my Deotech Adapter for Contax G.
Please share your results if you decide to make the A7 conversion.

uhoh7 wrote:
So, despite my recent screaming, you might not need to throw your A7 in the dustbin yet:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1340474/0

I will try this, I think, with my own A7.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interessting that a company offers such a modification.
But like I wrote there and the company admits there is a glass corrosion problem with this new thinner filter.
Now I wait how thick that filter is, probably it have additional not a good enough IR absorption too - then you get interessting colors for foilage and black cloth under bright sun (like with Leica M9 at the beginning).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
It is interessting that a company offers such a modification.
But like I wrote there and the company admits there is a glass corrosion problem with this new thinner filter.
Now I wait how thick that filter is, probably it have additional not a good enough IR absorption too - then you get interessting colors for foilage and black cloth under bright sun (like with Leica M9 at the beginning).

This response seems promising:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1340474/1#12794851
Quote:
BG39 is more durable than the S8612 glass that had the recent corrosion issues. We have seen some issues crop up after a year or so of BG39 use in very humid climates, but so far in temperate areas we have not had any issues. I am working with our suppliers to upgrade the BG39 to a more durable highly humidity resistant version, but the time frame for that is unclear now, possibly much later this year. In the meantime, we will be offering a full warranty on the glass and free replacements (and upgrade, when it becomes available) if the corrosion issues ever crop up.

Re: IR
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/01/a-thinner-sensor-stack
Quote:
replacing it with thinner Schott BG39 glass (I do not know the exact thickness of the replacement glass, but it is described as 'significantly thinner'). The replacement glass closely matched the original IR transmission, maintaining accurate colors, but, in theory at least,
[/b]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a possible solution presents itself. Positive thinking,now, where's the M9? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 1.85mm thickness of the normal IR cut and antialiasing filter on the A7 I think it could be reduced to ~1mm thickness with no / not much problems. 0.5mm thickness would be doubtful for me. Don´t know how thin they make the filter.

I wonder why the A7R has 1.85-2mm thickness for the IR-cut filter alone, and the A7 for IR-Cut + AntiAliasing 1.85mm.
Has Sony added a clear glass to the A7R stack to get the same optical thickness?

The warranty is good for some user, but from my point of view still not that good. For example for European customers such a repair would be time and proably expensive (shipping cost + customs). Furthermore I still use my EOS 5D, so I would not be to sure wheter that company is still alive when the filter gets worse probably after 5 years. And likely you recognize the problem when you look at your images - with some bad luck you find out a lot of images with that defect.
IR-Cut filters are no easy thing when looking into the details and with some special requirements.

But yes, I like it that a company offers such a service, and it seems they offer their best possible way to work with that concerns.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I wonder why the A7R has 1.85-2mm thickness for the IR-cut filter alone, and the A7 for IR-Cut + AntiAliasing 1.85mm.
Has Sony added a clear glass to the A7R stack to get the same optical thickness?

There is good reason to use a thick UV and antialiasing filter: dust. The thinner is the filter, the more visible are the dust grains on the sensor. This explains, perhaps, why the M43 standard wisely opted for a relativelly thick 4mm filter.

EDIT: Just to complement the information above: the Leica M9 is more vulnerable to dust on the sensor than most DSLRs, as is clear in this discussion by M9 users:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/leicam9/discuss/72157635111538585/

Most users blame the CCD sensor; they are unaware that the root of the problem lies in the too thin UV/AA filter used by Leica.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is clear for me that dust gets more visible with closer distance to the sensor. I work for a camera manufacturer as optical engineer.
It would be possible to use for example a 1mm glass and have some air between IR-cut and sensor. With this way even larger distances and less dust problems are possible. To glue the A7R filter to the sensor increase stability, reduces reflections, but makes scratch repairs very expensive, and IR and other modifications hard.

But for a high resolution camera with small dedicated lens outfit it would be good to have low thickness glass. The older Sony / Minolta lenses are likely all designed with not glass between lens and image (but I think there are not many fast lenses).
Some of the Sony A-mount to E-mount AF adapters add some additional glass.

But to have the same optical thickness would be better for future good fast lenses, especially for f/1.0 and such Smile
The Canon EF 50/1.0L is most likely designed for no glass after the lens - so it would improve with thinner glass on the sensor.

For the FourThirds standard 4mm thick glass could be good - but for the many people who adapt other lenses to 43 it is not so good. At least from theory for fast glass.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Yes, it is clear for me that dust gets more visible with closer distance to the sensor. I work for a camera manufacturer as optical engineer.
It would be possible to use for example a 1mm glass and have some air between IR-cut and sensor. With this way even larger distances and less dust problems are possible. To glue the A7R filter to the sensor increase stability, reduces reflections, but makes scratch repairs very expensive, and IR and other modifications hard.

But for a high resolution camera with small dedicated lens outfit it would be good to have low thickness glass. The older Sony / Minolta lenses are likely all designed with not glass between lens and image (but I think there are not many fast lenses).
Some of the Sony A-mount to E-mount AF adapters add some additional glass.

But to have the same optical thickness would be better for future good fast lenses, especially for f/1.0 and such Smile
The Canon EF 50/1.0L is most likely designed for no glass after the lens - so it would improve with thinner glass on the sensor.

For the FourThirds standard 4mm thick glass could be good - but for the many people who adapt other lenses to 43 it is not so good. At least from theory for fast glass.

Perhaps it is feasible to build an IR AND AA filter in a 1mm thickness, as you say. However, three surfaces need to be coated, instead of just one when the filter is glued to the sensor. The truth is, the camera manufacturers are not much interested in adapting legacy lenses.

About super fast lenses, Canon, for example, doesn't have anymore a F1.0 lens in its lineup. The C-MOS sensors are so more sensitive than film that is hard to justify today faster lenses than F2 only for technical reasons. Just see that the professional workhorses are zoom lenses with maximum aperture equal to F2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
ZoneV wrote:

There is good reason to use a thick UV and antialiasing filter: dust.

This is a very stupid reason to compromise lens performance with a thick stack. I went 8 months changing lenses in the field very often before I need to wet clean my M9 sensor for dust. Blowing it out works fine. Your postulation faster than f/2.8 not useful today equally ridiculous. Those AF "workhorses" are large constant aperture zooms, which cannot be easily made any faster than that. As is they are monsters, and technically no match for the best primes.

What cameras do you own today?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
Gerald wrote:
ZoneV wrote:

This is a very stupid reason to compromise lens performance with a thick stack. I went 8 months changing lenses in the field very often before I need to wet clean my M9 sensor for dust. Blowing it out works fine. Your postulation faster than f/2.8 not useful today equally ridiculous. Those AF "workhorses" are large constant aperture zooms, which cannot be easily made any faster than that. As is they are monsters, and technically no match for the best primes.

What you call "stupid reason" is just the current photographic technology. Oh yes, I forgot that Leica is from another planet.
My camera is a Sony A99, but forget it, is not an appropriate camera to adapt Leica lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of these threads continuing without the pissing contest and resentment?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
uhoh7 wrote:
Gerald wrote:
ZoneV wrote:

What you call "stupid reason" is just the current photographic technology. Oh yes, I forgot that Leica is from another planet.
My camera is a Sony A99, but forget it, is not an appropriate camera to adapt Leica lenses.

Perhaps with less time lecturing us all you might afford a Full Frame camera to learn by doing as opposed to reading industry blather about "current photographic technology", which in reality is highly varied, explaining why the A7 does not do well with Canon EF wides either.

You don't own an A7 or RF glass, but you are ready to tell us all about these issues, with great authority. Why in the world do you care about this thread? Just an opportunity for more bullying, or you might get some RF glass and an A7?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
Perhaps with less time lecturing us all you might afford a Full Frame camera to learn by doing as opposed to reading industry blather about "current photographic technology", which in reality is highly varied, explaining why the A7 does not do well with Canon EF wides either.

You don't own an A7 or RF glass, but you are ready to tell us all about these issues, with great authority. Why in the world do you care about this thread? Just an opportunity for more bullying, or you might get some RF glass and an A7?

You may not have noticed, but my camera is a full-frame, if this has any importance for a discussion on the effect of the sensor stack filter.
As far as I know, all digital cameras, including the Leica S use sensor stack filters. Only film cameras do not use stack filters... oops, I forgot the Hasselblads that went to the moon, which had a transparent glass with inscribed crosses in front of the film.

About discussing technical subject here, sorry, but I think this is a basic right of any member. I discuss ideas. I do not know why you get so bothered by this.

uhoh7 wrote:
the A7 does not do well with Canon EF wides either.

This can be technically interesting. Where did you see that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Perhaps it is feasible to build an IR AND AA filter in a 1mm thickness, as you say. However, three surfaces need to be coated, instead of just one when the filter is glued to the sensor. The truth is, the camera manufacturers are not much interested in adapting legacy lenses...

I think the a7R has no antialiasing filter - so the 1mm is for IR cut alone, as I wrote probably not clear enough.
The bigger stack thickness for the A7 with antialiasing filter is understandable. But I do not really understand why Sony have made probably even thicker stack for the A7R, which has no antialiasing filter. Good reason would be to have one standard stack thickness for future high aperture or very high resolution lenses.
Dust seems for me no real reason for the stack thickness, because air between IR cut and sensor would work too.
Coating is some work, but I don´t think it is that essential. Glueing the sensor and IR-cut filter is also some work and needs very high cleanliness in the process. It seems that the A7 filter is not glued to the sensor - so they have and do all the processing for that series.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:

You may not have noticed, but my camera is a full-frame,

so it is! Congrats!

what MF glass do you use on it?

uhoh7 wrote:
the A7 does not do well with Canon EF wides either.

Gerald wrote:
This can be technically interesting. Where did you see that?

What? You did not already know this? A surprise, since you are so well informed about all the latest photographic technology. I'd suggest you join the new Sony forum at FM, and search for tests by Fred Miranda, which compare corners on...I think it was the 17-40. If you paid attention you would know the whole A7 community has been having fits for a year to find high quality wide angle lenses which are not marred by the sensors.

Your idea that the "dust impervious" Sony Filter stack thickness is some "industry standard" today is ridiculous:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/sensor-stack-thickness-when-does-it-matter

This is a data base of filter stack thicknesses of many modern digital Cameras. Wide range, of course.

Gerald if you posed less as an authority, showed more respect, and refrained from silly stereotypes like "Leica is from another planet", I'm sure I would not be the only one less annoyed. But that sort of adaptation I fear is unlikely. Even Darwin was dubious about the transmutation of trolls. Smile

ZoneV wrote:

I think the a7R has no antialiasing filter - so the 1mm is for IR cut alone, as I wrote probably not clear enough.
The bigger stack thickness for the A7 with antialiasing filter is understandable. But I do not really understand why Sony have made probably even thicker stack for the A7R, which has no antialiasing filter. Good reason would be to have one standard stack thickness for future high aperture or very high resolution lenses.
Dust seems for me no real reason for the stack thickness, because air between IR cut and sensor would work too.
Coating is some work, but I don´t think it is that essential. Glueing the sensor and IR-cut filter is also some work and needs very high cleanliness in the process. It seems that the A7 filter is not glued to the sensor - so they have and do all the processing for that series.

I don't think the A7r lacks a AA filter, this was assumed by some, but I believe it's not the case. In any event, as the DB above shows the stack is not thinner than the plain A7---as many of us had originally hoped. Well you knew that, and you ask very good questions, which are the foundations of many of our frustrations with Sony Smile

Perhaps Gerald advised them to keep it thick for the dust issue......Gerald were you emailing Sony with advice, summer before last? That would explain the whole thing!

I am pretty sure I will send in my A7 to have the thinner filter attached, so that will be fun to see Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least on the German Sony for the Sony A7R it is stated the camera has no optical low pass filter - i am pretty sure they talk ablut the low pass filter, not the IR-cut. So their filter stack has less functionality than that on the A7 but the same thickness or more.

I hope I will not get to frustrated with the Sony Alpha II I buy now Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in Germany , of course !
The A7 and A7r are nice cameras. Like all cameras they have their flaws.
Sony and Zeiss are putting now lenses on the market which are conceived for these models.
Meanwhile many people have tried mf and af lenses with adapters.
They have been interesting exchanges about these experiments.
When I read the internet litterature produced by some Leica fan's ( how to qualify some of them ?) concerning their experiments with the A7 , I think those guys are a little bit egocentric. If a Leitz WA does not work with the A7 , it is a problem for the camera !

Personnaly I found some retrofocus WAs working fine with my A7 . I paid 18 euros for one of them. After many tests , I came to the conclusion that there were a bunch of mediocre of retrofus slr WAs and that the A7 is very good camera...not the contrary.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a forum for Leica aficionados, some are what you would call "fanboys", they get upset if you point out faults in their precious god. There are not few manufacture faults in the occasional lens. The camera bodies fare less well. If I pay top whack, and I mean top whack for am item I will be pissed off if I need to send it back for recalibration or repair. I expect it to be spot on for the premium I'm paying.
Thankfully, my 20mm Hexanon SLR lens works fine on the A7, just not so the M mount glass.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Only in Germany , of course !

German Sony page - forgot the "page" whilst some refining of the text.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

Gerald wrote:

You may not have noticed, but my camera is a full-frame,

so it is! Congrats!

what MF glass do you use on it?

I have MF lenses from 16mm to 400mm in varied brands: Sigma, Tamron, Pentax Takumar, Olympus, Fujinon, Nikon, Pentacon, Meyer and Carl Zeiss Jena. From Leica I have only the Elpro VIIb close-up lens.

uhoh7 wrote:
I'd suggest you join the new Sony forum at FM, and search for tests by Fred Miranda, which compare corners on...I think it was the 17-40.

The Canon 17-40mm lens is soft in the corners wide open. There are many image samples in the Internet showing it. If the softness in the corners is very evident in photos taken with a 21MP Canon 5d, imagine that it will be shockingly evident with a 36MP Sony A7r. In short, the problem is in the lens, not in the Sony A7r sensor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
There is a forum for Leica aficionados, some are what you would call "fanboys", they get upset if you point out faults in their precious god. There are not few manufacture faults in the occasional lens. The camera bodies fare less well. If I pay top whack, and I mean top whack for am item I will be pissed off if I need to send it back for recalibration or repair. I expect it to be spot on for the premium I'm paying.
Thankfully, my 20mm Hexanon SLR lens works fine on the A7, just not so the M mount glass.

I dislike generalizations about people. I've read many posts by many people at a bunch of forums where Leicas are discussed. Just like in the real world there is a huge variety of viewpoints, and many degrees of affection for the cameras, from frustration to love.

Anyone who loves their camera will not like it if I say it's worthless. No matter what camera. This behavior has nothing to do with "Leica", it's just human nature.

Your 20mm may be "fine" on the A7, but it will not approach a 21SEM on the M9.

L1020020 by unoh7, on Flickr

There are very few demanding landscape shooters really satisfied with 20mmish on the A7, from any lens. Many long threads looking to find what's great. The Leica WATE is considered one of the best of many imperfect options, aside from the high price.

I think there is nothing wrong to enjoy any SLR UWA on the A7, but we should not pretend they reach their potential.

As to to your assessment of Leica quality, whatever incidents may occur anecdotally, I can say the A7 build quality is far below the M9 and the A7 is a much more fragile camera. That's not to say it's crap. It's fine. I've had several high-end Sony video cameras, and a number of still bodies. Nearly all of them had to go back to Sony for repair at some point. If you are one day past warranty, too bad.

The M9 has a problem today with the sensor cover glass and humidity, but Leica will replace it regardless of age or owner. So I think it's fine to enjoy the A7, but silly to think it is more reliable or better built than Leica. It has very limited support from Sony, and it will not resale well.

I don't say these things because I'm a "fanboy", but because I've used both cameras alot and related to many owners. I do find Leica hostility among lovers of lenses rather bizarre, since Leitz invented 35mm still photography, and has produced more interesting lenses from the beginning to the present than any single manufacturer. Zeiss is great, but has gone through many incarnations, and really has not been able to keep it together to consistently produce cameras and lenses, themselves. Before and right after the war a good case could be made that Contax and the great sonnars were a better system, but the M3 and the 60's M glass really put paid to all that. Leitz upped their game quite a bit. Of course Zeiss was still making some great lenses as they do today. I love them also. Smile

anyway, I took a series of test shots with the SEM 21 on the A7, and sent the camera off for a new thinner sensor cover yesterday. In a few weeks, when I get the camera back, I'll take some more and we will see how it goes. Smile

Here is SEM 21 @5.6, with LR corrections and mild pp on A7:

SEM21_5.6_corrected by unoh7, on Flickr
If you really want to see the travesty, follow the cottonwoods below the mountain from center to edge.

Here is my "test shot", OOC from raw f/5.6:

SEM21_5.6_OOC by unoh7, on Flickr

I may be crazy but I would expect the SEM21 to clean up a bit more with a thin cover than will the CV21/4, just because it's not a small lens like the CV.

Here it is next to the not-small ZM35/2 another candidate from dramatic improvement Smile

DSC04451 by unoh7, on Flickr

and the ZM18 another serious prospect, which could turn spectacular, here with a7:

2 roads by unoh7, on Flickr

not to mention the 28cron, here f/8 on a7r:

cron_a7r_f8_ by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pictures made with the A7 and the Leitz WA are not very convincing. These lenses work certainly perfectly with a Leica body.
May I ask you why do you insist on trying to use them with an A7 as you own a M9 ?
in addition the A7r might be a better tool for landscape if you use it the proper lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the straightforward function of the Leicas and the CCD sensor. I had 2 Epsons in my time, I know what a rangefinder can do but its rubbish for longer lenses. The M system is outdated, its a lovely machine to look at and it has a unique appeal but it is not some all conquering deity despite what the hardcore aficionados say. And they say it all the time.. Its fine if you want t to collect expensive toys though, however unreliable they may be. M (type 240) strap lugs anyone? The Sony cannot handle UWA lenses not 'glass' , lenses. But it does an excellent job of utilising old MF SLR lenses. The M9 does not.

Anyone can criticise my cameras, it won't hurt their feelings, they're inanimate objects, it won't hurt my feelings either for that matter, I don't care. You see, I use these machines, I don't put on a nice cardigan and lovingly rub them in front of a log fire each evening and one day, they'll be an old,electronically busted paperweight. By then I'll have bought a new Sony or Fuji or whatever, that does handle UWA perfect!y well and for a third of the price of a precious red dot.
Ive seen plenty of reviews that state that there are quite often very minimal differences between Leica lenses and some of their competitors alternatives. All this bollocks about corners etc quite often doesn't transmute to the real world unless you're enlarging many times. It's in the eye of the beholder not a test chart.
And I'll take the cost saving for now I bought four 50's for £1000 a couple years back. CV f1.1, Leitz f2.8 collapsible, Canon screw thread f1.2 and a black J3 f1.5.....what could I have bought with the red dot for that and would it have been a better choice than all or any of the others?
Yes, quality costs, which is fine as long as there's quality control, not recalibration or factory adjustment no matter if it is free eventually. But if you want a retro look fashion accessory then the M system is the one, not saying you are like this but there are people who adorn themselves with such in order to pose. Hermes edition? M60? There's the snob value right there. Fine, not my money but you cannot say I'm generalising on those grounds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm considering the a7s which i understand has no issues with WA or other rf lenses, so as to not bother with this whole magilla. like they say, its simpler to just choose the best tool for the job vs trying to remake a hemmer into a screwdriver. ):
tony