Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A trip to Manchester
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: A trip to Manchester Reply with quote

Took my dad for a day out for his birthday andtook along my new Penta Q7 with Computar 1.3/8.5mm lens, tiny combo that fitted perfectly in my coat pocket. Makes a very nice street shooter. Most of these shots were at f4, some at f2. There's some stitched images too, which this lens also works well for, as it has very little distortion and no falloff of illumination as it is for a larger sensor than the Q7s.

#19 3-bladed iris, like a Hollywood Distagon. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, love the one with the red hair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly it looks quite better here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Klaus, this 8.5mm Computar and the 6mm Computar are very good, it's the 2.8mm Panasonic that was a stinker.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thanks guys.

Klaus, this 8.5mm Computar and the 6mm Computar are very good, it's the 2.8mm Panasonic that was a stinker.

Got mixed up I guess... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, it happens to all of us from time to time! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat set, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set of photos. Very early in the morning I suspect. Where is the station in the first pic? Looks like Stalybridge although its probably not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

The first shot is catching the train in Millom, just after 9am, so yup, early morning with that distinctive low angle sunlight we get up here in the north at this time of year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millom_railway_station

Shots in Manchester are all between 12.30 and 5.30pm (you can see the time in picture 4 on the digital clock in the mid-distance, this was on the way to catch the train home).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What took to you to spring gardens? Not yer normal tourist place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed it on the way from Picadilly to the Midland Hotel where we met my sister.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
Very good, love the one with the red hair

+1 on that! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Passed it on the way from Picadilly to the Midland Hotel where we met my sister.

The scenic route!

I too like the red hair photo. I hadn't realised it was a b&w photo until it was mentioned. I guess thats a good thing.

Back to the building in Spring Gardens. I think that is Ship Canal House. Built in the mid 19th century when the ship canal from Liverpool was being built. A huge admin office. In the 60's and 70's there were TV screens showing through the windows (round the corner) with the stock market prices live. Long before teletext and computers (as we know them). That is the financial heart of the city.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad people like the red hair pic, it's a shameless rip-off of Schindler's List. The girl's hair really was that colour, all I did was select the rest of the pic and desaturate it.

Interesting info about that building, it is in the financial quarter yes, lots of large ornate bank buildings. It reminded me of buildings in London, particularly around Whitehall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course when these buildings were built Manchester was the world capital in manufacturing. It had over 110 mills and it is said that Oldham had 365, plus all the other towns clustered around a 20 mile radius of Manchester had nearly a thousand mills and factories producing everything from cigarettes to sausages, cotton to cameras and railways to rubber. No slave trade though - that was Liverpool's forte Wink