Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flektogon 4/20 on Canon T3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Flektogon 4/20 on Canon T3 Reply with quote

A few shots. Contrast and some sharpening added.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these around minimum focus distance? Like the 35mm Flek, this looks like a decent closeup lens, and actually the bokeh (especially distant bokeh) can look fairly good for a wide angle lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, but lacking the super wide angle impression Wink.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
Are these around minimum focus distance? Like the 35mm Flek, this looks like a decent closeup lens, and actually the bokeh (especially distant bokeh) can look fairly good for a wide angle lens.

Yes. With this lens I can get up to 3 inches. I think that is unusually close since on the camera 6 in. is supposed to be the closest focus distance.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Thank you, I will try some to show the wide angle later. It just popped into my head to photograph those small yellow flowers with it and then I continued with other close ups.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice result.
Thank you for sharing.
If you don't mind me adding a couple of pics. The close focus is indeed 6 inches, but this is from the sensor to the subject.
This can look like around 3 inched from the front of the lens.
One close up and one wide. PP of course
OH

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
A very nice result.
Thank you for sharing.
If you don't mind me adding a couple of pics. The close focus is indeed 6 inches, but this is from the sensor to the subject.
OH

Thanks for the clarification and samples.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
A very nice result.
Thank you for sharing.
OH

hello

what sort of post-processing did you do on the 1st one ?

for my taste it's too much sorry

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I like that first pic - just love the 'gritty' texture Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

There is no super wide impression with a 20mm lens on a APSC camera. This would need a FF camera.
20mm equals only 30mm on the smaller sensor. There is nothing you can do about, except looking for a wider lens. In that case 13.5mm would get the same field of view.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is nothing you can do about, except looking for a wider lens

Sure there is, if you are using a mirrorless from Fuji, Sony, Olympus or Panasonic. Smile
There's at least two high quality focal reducers available that give you 21/22mm FOV with this lens. The Metabones is almost perfect, but costs 3 times the price of the extremely good Lens Turbo II.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
Quote:
There is nothing you can do about, except looking for a wider lens

Sure there is, if you are using a mirrorless from Fuji, Sony, Olympus or Panasonic. Smile
There's at least two high quality focal reducers available that give you 21/22mm FOV with this lens. The Metabones is almost perfect, but costs 3 times the price of the extremely good Lens Turbo II.

If we are talking about additional glass to achieve such effects, then also a front lens adapter could achieve comparable effects for far less money. I own myself such a "Lens Turbo". However, I don't think that you are increasing the image quality with such a lens.
Maybe it's time to do an objective comparison between "native" FOV and "tweaked" one. I'll put that on my "to do"-list. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, I don't think that you are increasing the image quality with such a lens.

Of course, there are always compromises. I was just talking to the point that wider lenses are the only way.

I also think that while similar, isn't adding glass to the front much different to reducing at the sensor? I've not ever had a wide-angle adaptor that didn't have a detrimental effect on image quality (far more than the Lens Turbo II that is). Also, you get an extra stop of light, so you can keep the ISO one stop lower, so depending on context and the noise characteristics of your camera, you may actually improve the image quality for noise and dynamic range. Less so on a Fuji camera though.

If we ever get IBIS into the Axxxx APS-C range, add in another few stops, and wow. Yes though, still likely some degradation in other areas, but it seems pretty minimal to me. It doesn't come into my thinking at all when shooting, perfection isn't my goal with legacy glass. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
Quote:
However, I don't think that you are increasing the image quality with such a lens.

Of course, there are always compromises. I was just talking to the point that wider lenses are the only way.

I also think that while similar, isn't adding glass to the front much different to reducing at the sensor? I've not ever had a wide-angle adaptor that didn't have a detrimental effect on image quality (far more than the Lens Turbo II that is). Also, you get an extra stop of light, so you can keep the ISO one stop lower, so depending on context and the noise characteristics of your camera, you may actually improve the image quality for noise and dynamic range. Less so on a Fuji camera though.

If we ever get IBIS into the Axxxx APS-C range, add in another few stops, and wow. Yes though, still likely some degradation in other areas, but it seems pretty minimal to me. It doesn't come into my thinking at all when shooting, perfection isn't my goal with legacy glass. Smile

I was previously referring to the subject of this thread: 20mm lens on a Canon SLR crop camera. There is no "Speed Booster" aka "Lens Turbo" option available. Only the front lens option, which I didn't want to recommend. However, I have also such thing called "Lens Turbo" but hardly use it because I have the option of using the lens as designed on a FF body. So I prefer to switch the body to change the effect of the focus length. And I see no benefit of gaining possibly a F-stop as my FF body is equipped with anti-shake anyway. Wink
You are right, when you state that the principle is different when you add a lens in front or on the back of the glass and the personal perception of quality is also a very tricky issue and very different among different individuals.
Nonetheless, as I should still have also such a front lens adapter from the beginnings of digital photography when a digital SLR was out of scope for me, I will do a comparison with all options presently on hand just for my personal interest. At least you have inspired me to do this. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At least you have inspired me to do this

You're ... welcome? Smile

Interested to see the results.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested. What lens will you put the front mounted adapter on?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

I have a quite high quality front lens adapter from Olympus with a 49mm thread (originally bought for my Minolta Dimage 7i). It increases the FOV by x 0.8. A possilbe test lens candidate would be the Minolta 24mm lens which has a 49mm filter thread and would result in apprx. 19mm on FF or apprx. 29mm on DX-sensor (instead of 36mm without adapter). I have also the "Lens Turbo" in Minolta mount, so this lens could also be used with this combination on my NEX, which would finally convert the 24mm lens to approximately 26mm. However, the optimum would be a M42 lens for that comparison, as that lens would fit with all possible variations, even on FF. On the other hand I could use my Minolta AF lens (which is optically more or less identical to the MF lens) for the FF picture.
Unfortunately the 20mm Takumar is too big for that. I think it has at least 55mm filter thread.
Unless I find another WA lens with 49mm thread in M42, I'll do it with the 24mm Minolta lenses without the Olympus for FF as the Minolta AF lens has also 55mm filter thread.
So finally the Minolta 24mm lenses in 4 variations: The MF native on NEX (36mm), with Olympus (29mm) and with "Lens Turbo" (26mm) and the AF version on FF (24mm). Maybe additionally also pictures on MFT sensor (48mm and 38mm). Unfortunately 19mm on FF is not possible as the MF lens is not native compatible to FF. However, I should have a lens adapter (with glass) also for that and I could also add a combination of "Lens Turbo" and Olympus on Nex for approximately 21mm FOV. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
uddhava wrote:

I have a quite high quality front lens adapter from Olympus with a 49mm thread (originally bought for my Minolta Dimage 7i). It increases the FOV by x 0.8. A possilbe test lens candidate would be the Minolta 24mm lens which has a 49mm filter thread and would result in apprx. 19mm on FF or apprx. 29mm on DX-sensor (instead of 36mm without adapter). I have also the "Lens Turbo" in Minolta mount, so this lens could also be used with this combination on my NEX, which would finally convert the 24mm lens to approximately 26mm. However, the optimum would be a M42 lens for that comparison, as that lens would fit with all possible variations, even on FF. On the other hand I could use my Minolta AF lens (which is optically more or less identical to the MF lens) for the FF picture.
Unfortunately the 20mm Takumar is too big for that. I think it has at least 55mm filter thread.
Unless I find another WA lens with 49mm thread in M42, I'll do it with the 24mm Minolta lenses without the Olympus for FF as the Minolta AF lens has also 55mm filter thread.
So finally the Minolta 24mm lenses in 4 variations: The MF native on NEX (36mm), with Olympus (29mm) and with "Lens Turbo" (26mm) and the AF version on FF (24mm). Maybe additionally also pictures on MFT sensor (48mm and 38mm). Unfortunately 19mm on FF is not possible as the MF lens is not native compatible to FF. However, I should have a lens adapter (with glass) also for that and I could also add a combination of "Lens Turbo" and Olympus on Nex for approximately 21mm FOV. Wink

Interesting. I have cheap front lens adapter I got with my camera. Perhaps it will fit on my Rolleinar 21mm lens.
I could give it a try. Nothing to compare it with though.