Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 500mm f=4 (indentified)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Sigma 500mm f=4 (indentified) Reply with quote

Hello,

Can anyone help me identify this lens ?

I know

Its a 500 MM mirror lens.
And there us a Passed sticker on it.

Ty

Last edited by KarelDH on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 500mm F4 MIRROR
http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-mirror-ultratelephoto-500mm-f-4-t38390.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned this lens, I can heartily agree with Calvin83! Not a bad mirror lens imho...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and thanks!

I bought it out of curiosity at the good price of €55

Looks never used. But there is a fair amount of fungus inside.

I will test it tomorrow.

Bye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked wow congrats, I hope you will get at least usable images, don't give up if looks crap at first try, 500mm f4 is very hard to focus on APS-C , may a bit better on full frame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this lens is f/8...but that doesn't make it any easier to focus on APS-C -- it is difficult enough on FF! -- and a very steady tripod or over 1/1000 sec shutter speed is required...

Easy to get inside to clean...to enter front, slide built-in hood back to expose three screws, remove, then unscrew the front bezel -- the large lens elements slide out. Use spanner on rear to remove two elements & spacer there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope its an 500mm F4

I am looking for a firm that cleans sigma lenses in the BENELUX.

I normally clean my lenses myself. but whit the Mirror i have no experience. so im going to leave it to a pro.

If anyone knows a firm. let me know Smile

ty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you an attorney? Instead of "identification" you write "indemnification". Wink

These are simple to disassemble -- the mirror is well protected, but don't touch it with anything -- cleaning the mirror, if necessary, should be by a professional lens-clean expert.. I doubt the mirror has any fungus. The glass parts are easy to clean...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I opened the lens to see how bad the damage was.
after removing the fungus on the glass elements i could see the damage the mold did to it. Big pats of the second element are hazy.

So i know this lens would cost a fortune to repair. so i gently removed the fungus on the back mirror.
(To anyone doing this it will leave scratches on the mirror ( also allot of mold on it ). but i am past hoop of saving this lens.

But more of keeping it as clean as possible.

None the less, the lens does give better result than before.

And i am hoping for a Moon or some good weather.

Ill post some pictures soon.

Ty