Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best and worse lenses for Exakta mount ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Best and worse lenses for Exakta mount ? Reply with quote

I just have a Schneider Kreutznach 135 , Flektogon 35/2.8, but didn'n tested on digital , partially by lack of an adapter Laughing
Should I look for something special or avoid something in this mount ? Any hidden gems ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the gems are not hidden, they are well known. Too well known, as they can be very expensive.

Biotar 75/1.5, Flektogon 20/4, Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8, etc. A lot of cult lenses were made in Exakta mount or even mostly in Exakta mount. A lot of very ordinary lenses too. In fact just a lot of lenses of all kinds as Exakta was the primary professional SLR system of the 1950s and was very important until the late 1960s. So pretty much every lens of those years had versions in Exakta mount.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very decent lenses that are cheap because they are very common, and are nothing special compared with modern lenses.
If you want to use them with your Exakta, though, these are very useful.
1. Tessar 50/2.8 - get the auto one with the arm as the preset Alu ones are overpriced due to collectors. A cheap lens but sharp, there is very little you can't do with it. This was the most common "kit lens" for Exakta in many markets.
2. Meyer Lydith 30/3.5 - this was the standard wide angle beyond the 35mm but before the expensive 25 and 20mm Flektogon and it is still cheap. I think this is found only as a preset.
Good lens for its day.
3. Pancolar 50/2 - Oddly, not as sharp as the Tessar I think. A more typical normal lens, if you want a faster one. Was also a kit lens so there are lots of them.
4. Ludwig Meritar 50/2.9 - yeah, this was the real cheapo lens of the earlier Exakta. Not as bad as its reputation and there is the possibility of some interesting triplet bokeh.
5. Biometar 80/2.8 - a great portrait lens. I had a fine example that I much regret selling. Not that cheap usually, but the cheapest such lens in Exakta mount.
6. Piesker 180/5.5 - sharper than the Meyer telemegor and just as small. And because little known its usually cheaper. Bokeh may not be as smooth, hard to say, but I was not disappointed.
7. Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 - see above. Light, small, not bad, nice bokeh, very practical longer lens for daylight.
8. Meyer Telemegor 250/5.5 -not very good but usually cheap and most important it looks really cool.
Most other options are usually harder to find or are more expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pancolar 2/50 is I think my favorite normal lens in the Exakta mount.

Many people think the Steinheil Quinon to be the best normal made for the exakta, but the prices are crazy. The Schneider Xenon 1.9/50 is likely just as good in objective measurements... but more common and cheaper.

Worst lenses - some of the early silver barrel ISCO lenses are mediocre performers. The domiplan is super common in exakta mount too and quality can be variable. A good domiplan is good (for a triplet) a bad one can be pretty bad. Many of the early wide angles are also not much good, but they were of course the first wide angles for SLRs developed so it is not unexpected. Enna's lithagon series is interesting, the first one developed was the 4.5/35 which is soft, slow, and flare prone - the 3.5/35 which came after it is sharper and faster, and the 2.8/35 which came last is really sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know which are the most expensive ones and Luis have mentioned the cheapest and most common ones. Most lenses from the well known brands(CZJ, Schneider and Steinheil etc.) are at least decent to very good. If you want more fun, look for early Meyer Primoplan/Trioplan or chrome Enna lenses. If you like uncoated lens, you can choose from CZJ, Meyer or Schneider.

+1 for Pancolar 2/50. Not the sharpest wide open but very good when stopped down with pretty decent corner performance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Topcors too in exakta mount, and those usually are very good.
I have only the RE.auto Topcor 3.5/135 and it's one of the best 135's I own.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all Smile
Wouldn't be interesting to post here some pics, maybe? Great info , anyway ,and pictures could only help .Thank you in advance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few from some of my lenses

Pancolar 2/50:

paint by berangberang, on Flickr

fireworks by berangberang, on Flickr

car wash by berangberang, on Flickr

moss by berangberang, on Flickr

vx5006 by berangberang, on Flickr

vx5008 by berangberang, on Flickr

fence by berangberang, on Flickr

Tessar 4.5/40:

table and chairs by berangberang, on Flickr

bottles by berangberang, on Flickr

Meritar 2.9/50:

mailbox by berangberang, on Flickr

truck by berangberang, on Flickr

Xenon 1.9/50:

tree by berangberang, on Flickr

ISCO Westar 2.8/50:
Untitled by berangberang, on Flickr

I could dig around for more, but I'm sure if you're interested enough to look for results, you can just search the lens' name on flickr and find pics from lots of people.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZJ Biotar 2/58 Exakta - love this lens, it's visibly better than the other copies I had in m42: I don't know if that applies to all exa's vs m42's or it's just a coincidence:

Camogli by A_Anything, on Flickr

Camogli by A_Anything, on Flickr

RE.Auto Topcor 3.5/135

2013-08-22_perugia_27 by A_Anything, on Flickr

Soprarivo, Po by A_Anything, on Flickr

CZJ Sonnar 4/135 - that is a somewhat hidden gem: it tends to be overlooked in favour of the m42 f3.5 version, and it can be found extremely cheap.
Then I'm a sucker for sonnars, so a little biased.

ChemiTrail by A_Anything, on Flickr

Palazzo Reale by A_Anything, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just add the Meyer Optik Gorlitz 135/2.8 "bokeh monster" to the list.

I love the Flek 35/2.8, it's a great "normal" lens on APS-C and focuses very close so I find it great for walks in the woods, can be used for either landscape or almost-macro shots.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helioplan f4.5 40mm - an overlooked and nearly forgotten about gem!!
Superb colors and sharpness and quite pleasant bokeh.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157632956071016/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Pentacon 2.8/100 and it wasn't too expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents:

Topcor RE 135/3.5 renders amazing color, brightness and sharpness. A very "true" and "accurate" lens so bokeh will not be strong. When you nail focus the sharpness can make your eyes bleed. Smile

Meyer Lydith 30/3.5 gives a gentle "legacy" feel and is reasonably sharp, good saturation, contrast and lovely bokeh.

Meyer/Pentacon 135/2.8 (15 blade version) is the bokeh king. It's a special lens. You have to try it to understand.

CZJ Biotar 58/2 has wonderful bokeh and color but I found it hard to hit sharp focus. I had the M42 version so it may vary.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenon 1.9/50(zebra focus ring)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
A few from some of my lenses

Pancolar 2/50:

paint by berangberang, on Flickr

fireworks by berangberang, on Flickr

car wash by berangberang, on Flickr

moss by berangberang, on Flickr

vx5006 by berangberang, on Flickr

vx5008 by berangberang, on Flickr

fence by berangberang, on Flickr

Tessar 4.5/40:

table and chairs by berangberang, on Flickr

bottles by berangberang, on Flickr

Meritar 2.9/50:

mailbox by berangberang, on Flickr

truck by berangberang, on Flickr

Xenon 1.9/50:

tree by berangberang, on Flickr

ISCO Westar 2.8/50:
Untitled by berangberang, on Flickr

I could dig around for more, but I'm sure if you're interested enough to look for results, you can just search the lens' name on flickr and find pics from lots of people.

Luis was not big on the Pancolar but I personally love it. I get much better results than with the Tessar 2.8 on my Canon EOS 60D.
Also really like the Topcon 135 mentioned above. I don't really like the results I have achieved with my enna lithagon. I like biotar 58 2 as well. Isco lenses though the "cut rate" schneiders have given me some decent photos as well. Stay away from the later plasticky ones as the quality of workmanship is down significantly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also sonnar is a good lens if you pay attention you can get decent copies at not too high a price. ( I got a 135 f4 in zebra in nearly unused condition with the cool oval case for 80 usd)