Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Orion Camera Supreme 10.5cm f/2.8 on A7RII - a lemon?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:22 am    Post subject: Orion Camera Supreme 10.5cm f/2.8 on A7RII - a lemon? Reply with quote

This lens has been sitting on my dry cabin for many years. When this lens arrived at my home, the test photo with my old NEX 5N was not up to my expectations. There were very limited samples of this lens on the internet at that time. On 2019, i see there are some photos on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/49576306@N08/albums/72157665226016328 with the following comment:

Quote:
As regards performance, I'd say that the Supreme lives up to the quality evident in the other details. At full aperture, there's just a bit of softness and glow, with some noticeable vignetting and lower contrast overall. One stop down, the lens is extremely sharp, vignetting has disappeared and contrast has improved markedly.

It confirms with my expectation that the copy I have may be a lemon. Since my lens is very new with no sign of repair, I don’t expect it will be a lemon…. Being a relatively slow lens based on Ernostar design, the performance should be better.

Anyway, I took this lens out yesterday to take some photos. The samples below are converted from raw to jpeg using the standard profile with no cropping in Adobe Lightroom. Charity and vibrance both set to +16. Click to enlarge the photos.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an Orion brand adapter for Leica as well? Nice...

I hesitate to say too much, but my copy was also not impressive wide open, there was lots of glow. I took mine apart to clean, but could not remove some etching unfortunately. Stopped down it was usable, but not fantastic. I wanted one anyway as I'm admittedly more of a collector than user.

picture wide open

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
Is that an Orion brand adapter for Leica as well? Nice...

I hesitate to say too much, but my copy was also not impressive wide open, there was lots of glow. I took mine apart to clean, but could not remove some etching unfortunately. Stopped down it was usable, but not fantastic. I wanted one anyway as I'm admittedly more of a collector than user.

picture wide open

Yes. It is the MIRANDA to Leica adapter made by Miranda.

Your copy seems perform similarly to mine. I agrees it is a good collector item as the build quality is top notch.