Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some first images Nikkor Ai-s 105mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Some first images Nikkor Ai-s 105mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

Some pics around the house.
All wide open, except for the last one (f/5.6). Clickable for full size.

It's a challenge to perform accurate focus on moving objects wide open; DOF is almost paper thin. Here I slightly missed the eyes.
NIKKORAIS10518 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Somewhat of a strange portrait this one, but here focus seems accurate on the right eye (left for the viewer). Wide open, there is softness, but at the same time good capturing of detail. Rendering of skin is pleasant. Backgrounds almost disappear.
NIKKORAIS10518_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr

NIKKORAIS10518_6 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Fun lens to use. Overall contrast is pretty good wide open, probably because of only 5 lens elements.

NIKKORAIS10518_5 by devoscasper, on Flickr

NIKKORAIS10518_4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

NIKKORAIS10518_2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Stopped down to f/5.6:
NIKKORAIS10518_3 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focussing will get a bit easier at longer distances. You could do nice half or full body shots, separating your subject from the background.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Focussing will get a bit easier at longer distances. You could do nice half or full body shots, separating your subject from the background.

I can also use my TechArt adapter, but unfortunately it doesn’t work together with Sony’s EyeAF.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thin depth of focus takes a bit of getting used to.
The backgrounds are more muted than I thought they would be~ that's a nice lens.
I've had 2 different iterations of the 2.8 version of this, both pre-A/I.
The sharp detail level on both was outstanding. Going for "long reach" with them was a bit disappointing.
The series "E" 100mm f2.8 was a reasonable counterpoint to them, but the plastic in the helicoids got to be distracting.
Right now am considering an incredibly rough Tamron SP 90 f2.5 that I probably should stay away from.

How is your new lens for bulk and weight?

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is pretty bulky, but not excessively so. But it’s lens I would use mainly to take portraits, not to take on a hike.

You talk about a f/2.8 version of the lens; I guess you mean the f/2.5 version? Great portrait lens for sure although I believe Minolta’s competitive lens (MC/MD 100/2.5 in 5/5 config) is better for landscapes (corner performance), if that’s what you’re looking for. The Pentax-M 100/2.8 is also excellent in this regard (and incredibly lightweight).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Well, it is pretty bulky, but not excessively so. But it’s lens I would use mainly to take portraits, not to take on a hike.

You talk about a f/2.8 version of the lens; I guess you mean the f/2.5 version? Great portrait lens for sure although I believe Minolta’s competitive lens (MC/MD 100/2.5 in 5/5 config) is better for landscapes (corner performance), if that’s what you’re looking for. The Pentax-M 100/2.8 is also excellent in this regard (and incredibly lightweight).

You are correct about the max aperture size. I should have kept one of them.

I'm not all that big on corners performance- I'm more into nature/wildlife with the occasional landscape thrown in for good measure.
I keep a 12mm extension tube in the bag for the wayward insects I sometimes stumble across...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Some first images Nikkor Ai-s 105mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Some pics around the house.
All wide open, except for the last one (f/5.6). Clickable for full size.

It's a challenge to perform accurate focus on moving objects wide open; DOF is almost paper thin. Here I slightly missed the eyes.
NIKKORAIS10518 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Somewhat of a strange portrait this one, but here focus seems accurate on the right eye (left for the viewer). Wide open, there is softness, but at the same time good capturing of detail. Rendering of skin is pleasant. Backgrounds almost disappear.
NIKKORAIS10518_1 by devoscasper, on Flickr

It seems much sharper than you think. Focus is between the eyes and the ears.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an old (near infinity) test I did on my hard drive with the Nikkor Ai-S 105/2.5.

I found long range sharpness actually very respectable. Even the corners are better than I remember; perfectly usable wide open on 42+ mp camera, although corners improve when stopping down.
Real world difference for this purpose between the Minolta 100/2.5 (5/5 version), Pentax-M 100/2.8 and Nikkor 105/2.5 (xenotar type) is negligible IMO.

center and corner 100% by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Found an old (near infinity) test I did on my hard drive with the Nikkor Ai-S 105/2.5.

I found long range sharpness actually very respectable. Even the corners are better than I remember; perfectly usable wide open on 42+ mp camera, although corners improve when stopping down.
Real world difference for this purpose between the Minolta 100/2.5 (5/5 version), Pentax-M 100/2.8 and Nikkor 105/2.5 (xenotar type) is negligible IMO.

Interesting result. Thanks for posting this. The A/I and A/I-s lenses I have not tried yet.
I got similar near infinity performance to this with the 100mm series "E", but not with the older pre- A/I lenses.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Interesting result. Thanks for posting this. The A/I and A/I-s lenses I have not tried yet.
I got similar near infinity performance to this with the 100mm series "E", but not with the older pre- A/I lenses.

-D.S.

I guess you had the sonnar type, and not the xenotar type.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

I can confirm Doc's observation about the pre-Ai Nikkor 2.5/105mm; both the Xenotar type as well as the Sonnar type are (for landscape purposes) clearly inferior to e. g. the Minolta MD-III 2.5/105mm. I don't have the Ai or the AiS 2.5/105mm, so I can't compare the MD-III to either of them. We know e. g. from the Nikkor 1.4/50mm that Nikon constantly made small changes to the design (probably improving it); Marco Cavina has documeted these changes very well.

I also know that the Konica AR 2.8/35mm "metal grip" and the Konica AR 2.8/35mm "rubber grip" (same lens section according to Konica) have quite a different performance ... tested with three different "metal grip" lenses, therefore probably true.

S

PS at infinity, the differences between the Nikkor-P 2.5/105mm "Sonnar" and the later Nikkor-P.C. 2.5/105mm "Xenotar" are negligeable. Bokeh (at 1.5 m) is nearly identical too ... That said, I also have tested the "ordinary" 7L version of the Super Takumar 1.4/50mm as well as the hyped earlier 8L version - and apart from the bad yellowing of the 7L version they were absolutely indistingiushable!! (Resolution, Bokeh, CAs ... you name it)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info. Didn’t know that the pre-ai Xenotar was different from the later versions, but it has to be. I’ve had three versions of the lens, but I liked the ai-s most because of the built in hood.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images with that lens. I had thought about trying one, but I have two versions of the Nikkor 105mm 2.5 and the Minolta equivalent, and I think three 105s is enough for me! But your images do make one wonder ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Beautiful images with that lens. I had thought about trying one, but I have two versions of the Nikkor 105mm 2.5 and the Minolta equivalent, and I think three 105s is enough for me! But your images do make one wonder ...

Frankly, the only reason to buy one is if you like really thin DOF. I like that a lot now and then. If you prefer to shoot at for instance f/2.8, it’s better to have a slower (and lighter) lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for adults that want to avoid some imperfections, this lens is best, for kids, it would be very hard to use, as they tend to move more, and their skin has nothing to hide , so i guess any 2.5/2.8 would fit better.
I would love to see portraits on 1.8 perfectly sharp on eyes (maybe both of them) with this lens, i guess it would be hard, as dof is very thin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those as shot out of the camera?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
Are those as shot out of the camera?

Yes, no post processing applied.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Interesting info. Didn’t know that the pre-ai Xenotar was different from the later versions, but it has to be. I’ve had three versions of the lens, but I liked the ai-s most because of the built in hood.

I have both versions and though both are excellent, they're clearly different if you shoot them side-by-side.

The 105 1.8 works very well on my GFX, too.

Of course, if you're a fan of Nikon 105mm lenses, the final place to go is the 105 f2 DC Nikkor. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Some first images Nikkor Ai-s 105mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

I like this lens. Probably even more than Sony 100mm f/2.8 STM sometimes.