Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First images SMC Pentax 85mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: First images SMC Pentax 85mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

First images of my latest acquisition. Click for full size.

SMCPentax8518459 by devoscasper, on Flickr

SMCPentax8518464 by devoscasper, on Flickr

SMCPentax8518457 by devoscasper, on Flickr

SMCPentax8518450 by devoscasper, on Flickr

SMCPentax8518449 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results, caspert! Like 1 small
It's delightful to see a portrait lens put to good use.

As far as I know, the PK mount SMC 85 is a scarce lens which usually fetches high prices. Congrats on a good find.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
Excellent results, caspert! Like 1 small
It's delightful to see a portrait lens put to good use.

As far as I know, the PK mount SMC 85 is a scarce lens which usually fetches high prices. Congrats on a good find.

Thanks. Yeah, I actually sort of gave up on finding this lens because of the high prices, but then I was lucky to find one anyway for a reasonable price. One of my favorite portrait lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice,

is that a sonar ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My long experience in that field shows me, that for the face-shoulder portraits with 85-100mm lenses the best f-stop always will be 4.0 So, all the face then is in focus, and still the back plane is moody enough to give the good impression.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
nice,

is that a sonar ?

It's a double Gauss design.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
My long experience in that field shows me, that for the face-shoulder portraits with 85-100mm lenses the best f-stop always will be 4.0 So, all the face then is in focus, and still the back plane is moody enough to give the good impression.

That's your opinion, of course - and not everyone will share it.

I agree with you that f1.4 and 85mm often are a challenge for portraits, but f2 ... f2.8 works well for me. And f1.8 @ 105mm results in cool images as well:

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20232/big_4216__DSC08056_1.jpg
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20232/big_4216__DSC08033_1.jpg

105mm @ f1.8 pretty much corresponds to 85mm @ f1.4 when it comes to DOF, btw.!!

@ Casper:

I have quite a few "semi-fast" 85mm lenses (f1.7, f1.8, f2), but no Pentax! All are very good when stopped down, and the differences wide open are not as pronounced as with other lenses (e. g. 80-200 telezooms or 20mm superwides). Is your lens a M42 or a K type 1.8/85?

S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

I agree with you that f1.4 and 85mm often are a challenge for portraits,

S

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens with f/1.4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
stevemark wrote:

I agree with you that f1.4 and 85mm often are a challenge for portraits,

S

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens with f/1.4

I like that one with its rather shallow DOF, although I use my MinAF 1.4/85 usually in the f2 to f2.8 range. Same goes for the 135mm focal length where i prefer f2 over f2.8 or f4. I'll publish a few images taken with the Canon nFD 2/135mm @ f2 in a separate thread.

S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevemark"]
LittleAlex wrote:
but f2 ... f2.8 works well for me.

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG DN Art Lens with f/2.8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

@ Casper:

I have quite a few "semi-fast" 85mm lenses (f1.7, f1.8, f2), but no Pentax! All are very good when stopped down, and the differences wide open are not as pronounced as with other lenses (e. g. 80-200 telezooms or 20mm superwides). Is your lens a M42 or a K type 1.8/85?

S

Hi Steve, mine is the K mount version. And true, 85mm’s hardly ever disappoint. I have to say though, that I find the Pentax remarkably crisp wide open compared to most other 85’s I tried. And bokeh is among the best IMO (subjective of course). As soon as I have some time, I will compare it to my Leitz Summicron 90/2 (1976), which I also love, but seems to have quite a different character.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
with its rather shallow DOF,

For me it is rather too shallow. It means that details behind and before the eyes are too out of focus.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
stevemark wrote:
with its rather shallow DOF,

For me it is rather too shallow. It means that details behind and before the eyes are too out of focus.

I guess it depends on whether you have a bokeh fetish or not. I admit that I do 😊
For me, portraits don't have to be completely sharp, as long as at minimum the closest eye is in focus. All images shown here are taken @ f/1.8, but sometimes I use f/2.8 or f/4 for practical reasons (on more images the eyes will be in focus).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if DOF is too shallow or too deep depends on what you want to achieve and focus on, if the portrait is meant to be environmental or fully focused on the subject. As long the selection is intentional and not forced (by lack of light, lens being too slow, background being wrong, or a mistake...) that's fine and purely an artistic choice. I can't see how one can be better or worse as a general rule, as there shouldn't be one.
In any case, beautiful results with this Pentax, very nice rendering with typical SMC colour rendering it. I was going to hunt down this lens before, but I couldn't find a good offer before the prices went up. Since I'm not much of a portrait shooter, I'll just admire the lens from afar. For some reason, I did like Canon FD 85mm the most, but its price also jumped of course (I wish it was still cca 180-200 eur like it used to be few years ago).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Yeah, if DOF is too shallow or too deep depends on what you want to achieve and focus on, if the portrait is meant to be environmental or fully focused on the subject. As long the selection is intentional and not forced (by lack of light, lens being too slow, background being wrong, or a mistake...) that's fine and purely an artistic choice. I can't see how one can be better or worse as a general rule, as there shouldn't be one.
In any case, beautiful results with this Pentax, very nice rendering with typical SMC colour rendering it. I was going to hunt down this lens before, but I couldn't find a good offer before the prices went up. Since I'm not much of a portrait shooter, I'll just admire the lens from afar. For some reason, I did like Canon FD 85mm the most, but its price also jumped of course (I wish it was still cca 180-200 eur like it used to be few years ago).

Yeah, prices have gone a bit wild. I was a bit shocked about the Ebay prices of the 85/1.8 Hexanons. If I remember correctly they were pretty affordable a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:

Very well said.

Dejan wrote:
I was going to hunt down this lens before, but I couldn't find a good offer before the prices went up. Since I'm not much of a portrait shooter, I'll just admire the lens from afar. For some reason, I did like Canon FD 85mm the most, but its price also jumped of course (I wish it was still cca 180-200 eur like it used to be few years ago).

caspert79 wrote:

Yeah, prices have gone a bit wild. I was a bit shocked about the Ebay prices of the 85/1.8 Hexanons. If I remember correctly they were pretty affordable a few years ago.

Yeah, indeed. I'm lucky to have bought a few of those classical 85mm lenses between 2007 and 2020. Although, to be honest, my last Konica AR 1.8/85mm, bought at a flea market, wasn't exactly expensive (CHF 10.--):
http://www.artaphot.ch/konica-ar/objektive/446-konica-hexanon-85mm-f18

S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This SMC Pentax K-mount lens has the same optics as the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar M42, yes?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
This SMC Pentax K-mount lens has the same optics as the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar M42, yes?

Yes, it’s the same.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
alex_d wrote:
nice,

is that a sonar ?

they are so close on those old lenses ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
alex_d wrote:
nice,

is that a sonar ?

Yes. Here's the lens section:

In fact there's an earlier Auto-Takumar 1.8/85 with a Sonnar-like design:

Imagine the space between 2nd and 3rd lens being filled with a low dispersive / low refractive glass (instead of air), and voilà - you'd have a real Sonnar:

S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@stevemark

sure, that 'small' difference.

like a normal burger and a burger with 1 leave of green salat inside .. covered in sauce or .. whatever ppl put inside.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
In fact there's an earlier Auto-Takumar 1.8/85 with a Sonnar-like design:

Imagine the space between 2nd and 3rd lens being filled with a low dispersive / low refractive glass (instead of air), and voilà - you'd have a real Sonnar:

S

Exclamation brilliant observation!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to add a few historical facts.

As you know the Ernostar design was the basis for the later Sonnar. The Ernostar was based on the Unar, which basically was a triplet with two positive front lenses (instead of only one):

Back in the 1920s when Ludwig Bertele modified the Unar into his early Ernostars, coating hadn't been invented yet. Lenses with six air/glass surfaces (such as the triplet) had less internal reflections than the Unar/Ernostar with its eight surfaces. Those eight surfaces were just OK (and six surfaces were better of course), but more air/glass surfaces would not be feasible.

Just around this time - late 1920s - the silent movies were replaced by talkies. Silent movies - if shot indoors - had made use of the noisy, but very bright arc lamps. Their noise was completely unbearable for talkies, and they had to be replaced by the much weaker filament lamps. As a consequence there was a sudden and urgent demand for fast cinema lenses. f2 ... f1.5 ... you name it. Money was not an issue, but the lenses had to be fast: pronto, subito.

Bertele, then working at Ernemann, as well as Merté at Zeiss came up with different solutions. Merté was transforming the original slow and symmetric Planar into a fast, asymmetric f2 Biotar (which had four air/glass surfaces).

Bertele however had a brilliant idea: He would take the basic Unar/Ernostar design, and fill the air space between second and third lens with low refractive / low dispersive glass. This would result in two advantages:
1) only six air/glass surfaces (instead of eight with the Ernostar & Planar), and
2) reduced lateral CAs due to the use of LD glass.

The rather limited angle of field of the original Unar was enhanced by inserting a "hidden surface" into the rearmost lens. The Sonnar was born:

You can find a more detailed historical description in my 2011 article about the Sonnar, publshed in the Sony Fotospiegel. Its German language, but the corresponding lens schemes are self explanatory:
http://artaphot.ch/images/Technik/Zeiss/Sonnar/FS142_History_ZeissSonnar_150dpi.pdf

Bertele, by the way, had become famous due to his Ernostar and Sonnar designs. He wasn't happy at Zeiss, though, and even before the end of the war he left Zeiss (around 1944 as far as I know). Pretty soon he re-surfaced just a few 100 meters from the German-Swiss border, but this time in Switzerland. The (for insider) famous Wild Heerbrugg would be his new home - until his death in 1985. Actually I grew up in a village next to his place of residence, but sadly we never met. His two sons, now in their 80s as well, are still alive though, and you'll find their entries in the official Swiss phone directory ...

Enough for today.

S