Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Photax-Paragon 100mm f2.8. Any info?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Photax-Paragon 100mm f2.8. Any info? Reply with quote

Hi All,

This is my first post – I've been lurking for a while. I've recently got back into photography with an Olympus E-PM1 and I'm loving using it with my old manual lenses and now seem to be building a small collection.

Just bought this M42-fit lens off ebay but I can't find any information about it. Googling gives results for several other Photax-Paragons, including 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 35mm f3.5, 135mm f2.8, 200mm f3.5, 300m f5, among others, but no mention of this lens apart from the ebay results for the one I bought.

Has anyone heard of it or have any idea who made it?

PB215163 by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

PB215165 by Ed Herridge, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photax was a UK photographic retailer, and they sold lenses with the names Super Paragon and Paragon. The lenses were bought in from Japanese manufacturers and certainly not made by Photax. A lot of store brand lenses are poor, bought at the cheapest possible price and resold for maximum profit, but I think Photax were a cut above that and actually sold decent lenses. I've had a few and they have all been good, maybe not the very best, but certainly way better than most of the crap budget lenses.
That's a nice looking lens, and a great focal length, but I have no idea who made that - but I'm sure some educated opinions will follow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fits right in: http://forum.mflenses.com/the-story-of-mitake-t64648.html
Sadly photos are vanishing fast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information chaps. Having had a bit more of a look around, I was wondering if could have been Tomioka.

This link...

http://forum.mflenses.com/tomioka-100mm-f2-8-t49746,highlight,%2Btomioka+%2B100mm.html

...shows a very similar lens.

A relation?