Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stripping Paint on Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 200mm Tube
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Stripping Paint on Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 200mm Tube Reply with quote

Hey everybody. I recently got a mint deal on a vintage zebra striped, Schneider-Kreuznach 200mm M42 mount. Gotta love Croatian markets.

This lens is notorious for the black paint flaking off and unfortunately some of those flakes end up inside the lens. The lens itself is easy enough to dismantle and separate the exterior body elements so I wanted to strip the paint and either leave it stripped and paint the etched markings like the distance indicator etc., or maybe paint it up fresh.

As far as stripping it goes, I normal paint stripper should work, correct?

Also, when repainting an entire lens from scratch, what paint is good to use?

Thanks in advance, and I may have more questions further down the line regarding this lens too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some paint strippers react badly with aluminium and eat into the surface. Also, lower quality aluminium can have some porosity so the paint stripper will get in to the surface and then affect any new paint.
But there are paint strippers made for aluminium, auto repair shops that respray Land Rovers will use it, but I don't know what it is called or who actually makes it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm not sure if the body is aluminum though it is very light.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
porosity

My word of the week Very Happy
Now I must try to fit it into as many conversations as possible Razz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
porosity

My word of the week Very Happy
Now I must try to fit it into as many conversations as possible Razz

Porosity: We used it a lot when I used to make dentures, bad timing when mixing the acrylic caused it. When my boss made them we never used it...

Paint on lenses is likely to be heat hardened and normal paint stripper will not work. It may have to be buffed off. Not an easy job I suspect. The barrel would have to be dismantled first too.

Normal paint would wear off in use, you'd need to heat harden it or get the lens powder coated.

Last edited by philslizzy on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to my friend who has a body shop today, the problem with stripping paint from aluminium is pretty much limited to Land Rovers, there's a surprise Rolling Eyes The alloy L.R. use was called 'Birmabright' which was specially made for them - it was rubbish. Some paint strippers did etch the surface and were hard to wash off.
But on other aluminium body panels and parts he uses Nitromors paint stripper. And this guy does a lot of custom motorcycles where he sprays alloy parts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the more I look at it, the flaking layer of paint may just be easier to brush off than an attempt at stripping it.