Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Clouds and the Biotar 58/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Clouds and the Biotar 58/2 Reply with quote

What you can't see are the big black storm clouds behind me...which i think produced this really stunning effect in the sky with the strongly defined clouds and the blue sky...wow,It was really hard getting the exposure right (I failed,I had the F stop at F16 as the sky was bright so there is a little contrast boost plus PP as the foreground came out darker) dark .I have some of these in raw files so I may have a chance at creating something better??Sorry for the dust spots.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, another cloudaholic! Fine shots Smile They are, to my mind, one of the most difficult subjects.

Did you use a polarising filter?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed No...and I do have one somewhere amongst my collected filters.
I love clouds..they can be so dramatic.These were begging to be captured as the light was perfect.As I was driving along at the time... I had to stop... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to bring up the foreground if you want to take shots like this is to get a set of graduated neutral density filters to darken the sky so that the contrast with the ground isn't so great. An ND grad filter is pretty much essential for landscape work.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul...I have one of those with my recent Pentax acquisition...not sure how to use it so I must get reading! This was a spur of the moment shot...do you always carry different filters in your gear bag for moments like these?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow wonderful sky!

Quote:
set of graduated neutral density filters
: ...ND filter in Photoshop is rather equivalent?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Mo! Polar or/and ND graduated filter is essential.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st thing I noticed, were the dust spots on the sensor. What does that tell you?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skipperit wrote:
wow wonderful sky!

Quote:
set of graduated neutral density filters
: ...ND filter in Photoshop is rather equivalent?

Better, yet, the graduated filter function in Lightroom. Wink

mo wrote:
I have some of these in raw files so I may have a chance at creating something better?? Sorry for the dust spots.

Definitely you can create something better with some processing. Like I mentioned above, the graduated filter (or the adjustment brush) function allows you to decrease the exposure of the sky alone (or the land alone). If you are a bit serious about photography, you should learn how to process RAW files. It's not very difficult and it gives you very big benefits.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
The 1st thing I noticed, were the dust spots on the sensor. What does that tell you?

Clean the sensor before taking out the camera?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shot taken off my balcony with the Biotar and a CPL Marumi filter on...I bumped the contrast and lightened it a little is this better? I chose F8 for the f stop.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like polarized sky better, almost always.