Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya 1.8/55 goes to the seaside
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Mamiya 1.8/55 goes to the seaside Reply with quote

Beautiful day, pack up the kids and play by the sea.
Heavenly
OH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*looks out the window, sees grey....*

Your making me homesick you are!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!.....the colours are excellent. I picked one of these lenses up today, haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm looking forward to it now. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these years ago to use on a Chinon body I had fixed. I was suitably impressed with the colors and IQ.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic set OH ! especially ##3 & 4. well done !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas.
Here are a few more:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding photos!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last picture is exceptional, the colour and exposure range is impressive. It likes blues. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The last picture is exceptional, the colour and exposure range is impressive. It likes blues. Cool

Thank you blotafton.
Lloyd, I think that the Pentax K-10D can take a lot of credit for these as well as the lens of course.
That CCD sensor seems to team with Mamiya glass so very well.
Of course the sensor starts limping badly over ISO400 but hey - play to its strengths.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get to the seaside, but I did take the Mamiya Sekor 55 1.8 that came in the bad of crap for £12 that I got at yesterdays camera fair out today for the first time. It was sunny but very windy, so static subjects were the order of the day. So I'm hijacking Tom's excellent post in support of this very fine lens. I was very impressed with it.

ISO 400 f2.8 - very slight levels adjustment, and a lot of cloning to remove power cables!

ISO 500 f1.8 - very slight levels adjustment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fine lens indeed Lloyd.
Worth much more than the prices that they fetch on ebay.
Thanks for posting these.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there are several versions of this lens.
I have two - yes, I know ....... don't go there ......... and they are different in physical layout.
I find them to be similar if not the same optically.
I think that there is a third version of this lens as well ......
Here are the two that I have experienced - both have half-aperture click stops until f11 then a full aperture stop to f16 (no half stop in between)
OH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I have two - yes, I know ....... don't go there ......... and they are different in physical layout.

Can you shoot them from the rear please?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Can you shoot them from the rear please?

Fixed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

There is a version that looks identical to a well known Yashica 55/1.8 except the finish (Yshica is mostly silver):

And I am not sure but I think I saw a black and silver version like yours but with the rear element retaining ring like in the above Yashica clone.

There is also another variation of black and silver lens that has mamiya/sekor label (and not MAMIYA-SEKOR) and DOF marks like on black version but this is only cosmetic difference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots.

I did own whole bunch of Mamiyas ( 55/1.4, 50/2 and 55/1.8 ) and DTL versions (all blacks) never disappointed me. Contrast, resolution and IQ is top notch. The TL versions (chrome nosed) not quite as good as the blacks, although not bad at all. Haven't had chance to shoot with Yashica looking one though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A five image stitch with the Mamiya, some other PP to adjust the levels a bit but the pictures are pretty much as they come. The best thing is the lack of CA, the burnt out bit of the sky is obviously the low sun, I would have expected the detail on the horizon to be a mess of fringing.

But this 100% crop is untouched. I think I was shooting at f4, certainly at ISO 500 and 1/2000. I've just checked on Google Earth and the pylons are just over 1.5 miles away, that's very impressive for a 55mm lens.

Last edited by Lloydy on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, last week i missed that lens at ebay..i was overbidden...w/o reading here about it..i know its a good lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
A five image stitch with the Mamiya, some other PP to adjust the levels a bit but the pictures are pretty much as they come. The best thing is the lack of CA, the burnt out bit of the sky is obviously the low sun, I would have expected the detail on the horizon to be a mess of fringing.

But this 100% crop is untouched. I think I was shooting at f4, certainly at ISO 500 and 1/2000.

Beautiful sky Lloydy, nice sharpness and stitching!