Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Crazy. Hummers with Zuiko 200mm F4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Crazy. Hummers with Zuiko 200mm F4 Reply with quote

I'm crazy that is, for trying to manual focus with hummingbirds.

These are variously 20% to 50% crops with the Olympus Zuiko 200mm at F5.6, ISO 800 on an OM-D E-M5.
Only a little bit of color fringing, I'm impressed. The main thing I noticed is that as the exposure increased (not to over-exposed, but with the histogram definitely shifted to the right), contrast and saturation decreased more than with my modern Canon lenses. It was easy to compensate for in RAW conversion though.
1)

2)

3)

4)

number of keepers was of course drastically higher with my auto focus Canon 400mm (the cheap one, F5.6, no IS), but the m43 +zuiko combination was so much smaller and lighter. Only problem is I need an eye patch, because I can't squint enough.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very good for an MF lens.
Soo difficult to chase moving objects like these.
Try to learn to focus with both eyes open - it will make things a little easier and give you situational awareness that you lose with one eye concentrating on the viewfinder. It also (for me anyway) adds a 3D effect to what I am seeing and helps with composition.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good pictures, not an easy subject.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent shots ! nice colors.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give yourself a pat on the back, catching Hummers with a manual lens is not easy, and that they are good is a bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats ! very hard to focus on this kind of subject