Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Defect with my MIR-I 2.8 37
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Defect with my MIR-I 2.8 37 Reply with quote

Hi,

I've recently got my hands on this beautiful award winning lens. Although it's not working as usual on my camera.

Info :
canon 5d mark II
MIR-I 2.8 37mm
random cheap screw-on m42-eos adapter

Fault 1 :
When I take pictures with this lense, my shutter makes a different sound. I know full frame sensors shutter sound different than other format sensors, I'm familiar with them. This shutter sounded even slower, as if it was lagging. This happens everytime, no matter what shutter/f/iso I put.

Fault 2 :
I see a big black border in certain situations. If I recall correct, on F stops above 8 (been a few days I used it so I'm not sure about this) I have a few pictures that turned out normal but most of them have big borders

If there's info missing, please do ask.

link to image : tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cgeyac&s=8#.VBtLuPl_t8E

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the MIR 1B has a problem with the back of the lens hitting the mirror on Canon's - but I'm not a Canon user so I'm not 100% positive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the MIR-1 version. I know it's black but it doesn't state the 'b' after the '1'[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a definite mirror issue. Here's what I found on a 5D M42 lens compatibility list:

MIR 1B 2.8 / 37 mm (Vologda)
bending down the protruding winding at the rear of the lens with nippers seems to work.
According to a user report at Canon 6D the range between 0.7m until 15m seems OK.

Other then that, which doesn't sound particularly attractive IMO, you can shave the mirror.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexWicks wrote:
That's a definite mirror issue. Here's what I found on a 5D M42 lens compatibility list:

MIR 1B 2.8 / 37 mm (Vologda)
bending down the protruding winding at the rear of the lens with nippers seems to work.
According to a user report at Canon 6D the range between 0.7m until 15m seems OK.

Other then that, which doesn't sound particularly attractive IMO, you can shave the mirror.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with most of the terms you just said. Mind elaborating it differently?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/eos-5d-mirror-shaving-t13129,highlight,+5d++mirror++shaving.html

Not for the faint hearted.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror of your Canon is hitting the rear element of your MIR. As a consequence you probably dammaged it.
My MIR 1b is not good enough for FF. The corners are blurred. Forget this lens for your Canon 5d.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
The mirror of your Canon is hitting the rear element of your MIR. As a consequence you probably dammaged it.
My MIR 1b is not good enough for FF. The corners are blurred. Forget this lens for your Canon 5d.

Do not agree. I have a 5DMkII and the Mir-1B I own vault its weight in gold for me.
It's a lens made to be used in a full frame camera, or 35mm film negative is not full frame anymore?

Other then that, you have to use a sandpaper or lime to remove some metal from the lens back (the metal part wich retains the optical rear element), and paint it black again. It's a delicate procedure, as the lime doesn't can barely touch the optical rear element or your lens will be useless after that.

I've done it twice, but there is a zoom lens in which I did and I lost the lens by a minor mistake - forgot to cover the rear element before sanding.

Pics with this lens:

0516_srgb by Renato__ Salles, on Flickr

PRO13-1884_SEFX by Renato__ Salles, on Flickr

LRD_IMG_2070_CFX by Renato__ Salles, on Flickr

LRD_IMG_CEFX_2074 by Renato__ Salles, on Flickr

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mir 1b is bad in the corners . Bad and not weak. Your sample is probablely better. It is the first time I see pictures on FF with this lens on the net.
Since I am on this forum I just saw APS-C shots.
The rendering of this lens is nice and special but I am reluctant to make another try as you can find other good 35mm lenses.

I have many 24x36 SLR lenses which are not satisfactory on FF . Some are simply optically weak lenses, other had quality and dispertion problems during their production era , some suffered from the time and use. I did not calculate it but my rejection quote must be about 25% till now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
memetph wrote:

Do not agree. I have a 5DMkII and the Mir-1B I own vault its weight in gold for me.
It's a lens made to be used in a full frame camera, or 35mm film negative is not full frame anymore?

Other then that, you have to use a sandpaper or lime to remove some metal from the lens back (the metal part wich retains the optical rear element), and paint it black again. It's a delicate procedure, as the lime doesn't can barely touch the optical rear element or your lens will be useless after that.

I've done it twice, but there is a zoom lens in which I did and I lost the lens by a minor mistake - forgot to cover the rear element before sanding.

Pics with this lens:

Cheers,

Renato

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm not sure if I wanna try this as I never operated like this before. I prefer to keep the lens and body as is. The replies here made me think though.

Is it possible to fix this by getting a thicker adapter? creating more space between the actual lens and mirror will solve it right? Although I'll lose some quality, I think it's worth trying as adapters (thick adapters as well hopefully) are quite cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't lose quality, you'll lose the ability to focus to infinity. A thicker adapter will solve the issue in the same way as never using the lens at or near the infinity marker.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
You won't lose quality, you'll lose the ability to focus to infinity. A thicker adapter will solve the issue in the same way as never using the lens at or near the infinity marker.

Thanks for your response. I guess I'll have to give it a shot and see it myself.

Anyone knows a cheap ebay or any other site selling these that ships international?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baksteen1 wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:

Thanks for your response. I guess I'll have to give it a shot and see it myself.

Anyone knows a cheap ebay or any other site selling these that ships international?

Or you may put an black O-ring or something similar into the rear of the len mount.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baksteen1 wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:

You can make a spacer from a black foam board from stationery stores or a rubber gasket sheet from hardware stores and put it between the adapter and the lenses. Just make sure that the lens is securely in place when use.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your canon has live view, there is a work-around...
Focus to a close distance, turn on liveview, focus to infinity or where you need to,
Take your shot and then focus to a close distance again and turn off live view.
Shaving the mirror or the rear of the lens are about your only options for shooting a FF Canon
and keeping infinity.

You could try a Sony A7(r/s), I'm having great fun using manual lenses on my A7r.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tao wrote:
baksteen1 wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:

You can make a spacer from a black foam board from stationery stores or a rubber gasket sheet from hardware stores and put it between the adapter and the lenses. Just make sure that the lens is securely in place when use.

How does this work? The gasket sheet don't have threading.

Anyone knows m42-eos adapters that are thicker than usual?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baksteen1 wrote:
How does this work? The gasket sheet don't have threading.

At infinity setting, the rear of my MIR-1B extrudes about 2mm beyond the adapter. Since the thread is M42x1 you could just unscrew the lens two turns. Most people however found this setup very unsecured. You could hold the lens in place with a piece of duct tape. Alternatively, as I said, insert a 2mm-thick washer between the adapter and the lens and let the friction keep the lens in place.

baksteen1 wrote:
Anyone knows m42-eos adapters that are thicker than usual?

From the complains on forums, you would think there must be machine shops out there making adapters using lathes with bad tolerence. I have never seen this myself and even if it was true I doubted the seller would say so in an ebay listing. You could try extension tubes. 7mm extension tubes are widely available. However it will keep you so far away from infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a summary blog listing lenses with clearance problems with the Canon 5D (series?).

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

The author has an intriguing comment about the Mir-1b:

"MIR 1B 2.8 / 37 mm (Vologda)
According to a user report at Canon 6D the range between 0.7m until 15m seems OK."

I don't have my Mir-1 in front of me at the moment, so I'm not sure what this would entail. The use of the word "nippers" would certainly give me second thoughts if I had the problem with my camera! Very Happy

Perhaps you can track this reference down for more detail.

Cheers,
Lou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am intrigued that people might actually do that. The ridge is so small there are hardly any purchase. And it is so close to the rear element.