Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need some help with pancakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Need some help with pancakes Reply with quote

I am getting into mirrorless cameras and I will probably buy a Canon EOS M somewhere next month. OR at least I hope so.
I'm looking to buy a lens for it besides the 18-55 big ass kit lens because I want it to fit into my pockets.
And I don't want anything longer than 35mm, have you got any suggestions for L39/M39 or similar RF or other half-frame mounts?
I had a look at the Industar-69 and that's my main choice for now. I know about the other Industars but they are too wide.
Oh, and I'm not looking to spend more than $50 because I won't have much money left after the purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16-50 kit lens on the Sony A6000 is really small, half the size as the 18-55. And smaller than any rangefinder lens with adapter. reconsider?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Industar 69 is about the smallest lens this side of a pinhole, my Canon LTM 35/2.8 is quite small, but it will cost more than your budget.
You can see the size if the Industar on the left with the Canon 35/2.8 next to it.

I also picked up a Canon 28/2.8 after this group shot was taken, it's size is between the two, it costs more than the 35, and is picky about the sensor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the double kit with the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a NEX, Industar 69 + adapter is about 23mm, it should be the same on EOS-M. Quality is not excellent, but adequate after some PP.
16-50 is 30mm... not bad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help with pancakes Reply with quote

alencr wrote:
I am getting into mirrorless cameras and I will probably buy a Canon EOS M somewhere next month. OR at least I hope so.
I'm looking to buy a lens for it besides the 18-55 big ass kit lens because I want it to fit into my pockets.
And I don't want anything longer than 35mm, have you got any suggestions for L39/M39 or similar RF or other half-frame mounts?
I had a look at the Industar-69 and that's my main choice for now. I know about the other Industars but they are too wide.
Oh, and I'm not looking to spend more than $50 because I won't have much money left after the purchase.

I recommend just buying the 22mm STM lens instead of the 18-55 kit. The package should be very compact although it may not be very pocketable (depends on the size of your pocket of course). There are a number of fairly compact lenses you can adopt to EOS-M. For example, the Olympus Zuiko 40 F/2.0 pancake shouldn't be much larger than the Canon 22mm STM.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@philslizzy I want to buy the Canon because I can get it for cheap here and Canon is organizing a camera product showcase and because of that I get some %20 off. And IF I buy Sony for the same price or lower I won't be happy with it and I can't afford more than the M. I think it's a good camera and I'm not looking for less than ASP-C sized sensor. I won't have the money to buy the 22 kit because it's more expensive than the regular 18-55+90EX kit but I'll try and save up some cash and sell the 18-55. And I have a few M42 lenses so I can live with not pocketable setup for a while. and Anything bigger than the M+22 isn't really pocketable for me.

@Lightshow when I'll have extra time and cash I will buy the Industar but for now, I'll live with the 18-55 kit and a pair of M42 lenses.
I'm not looking to buy a lot of RF lenses because some have that purple colour shift on the ASP-C mirrorless cameras.

@calvin83 yeah, I wish I could. I'm only a poor student, 18 in March. Smile

@enzodm the Industar isn't bad but of course not comparable to the 22. I will just have to save up for it. Just can't wait to get any new camera really... I mainly chose the EOS M for the features and performance (OK minus the FPS lol) and because it is cheap and I will have a discount and I can mess around in Magic Lantern.

@drjs yeah I'm thinking about the 22 as you have probably read by now. I love those OM Zuikos, they are bloody good and not too expensive. I think they will be my first upgrade at least for MF.

Thanks all anyways. It's a bit hard and stupid for me to talk this much without having bought a camera already but what can I do when my DLSR died in March. (for my birthsday...)
It was already a sign to move away from DSLRs for a bit, too clumsy and too many movable parts and too loud for me. I won't miss the smallish VF.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is of any interest, I'm selling my Sony NEX5N here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/sony-nex5n-and-sony-e-18-55mm-oss-and-flashgun-t68022.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but not interested. Good luck though. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked at eBay and I'm suprised I can find the EF-M 22/2 for about $120-ish which is great for me if new.
I can sell the 18-55 for at least $80 here at my place.
I think I'm sorted but that doesn't mean I will be ever happy with my manual lenses. Very Happy