Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta 3.5-4.5/28-85 on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Minolta 3.5-4.5/28-85 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

Okay, this is an AF lens, but it's optically the same as the MD 28-85 so I feel it's valid to show it here.

This lens is wonderful, easily as good as most primes in the same range. It's sharp at all apertures and focal lengths, the contrast is strong and it has the classic Minolta colours. The usual flaws of CA and flare are barely present - CA only really appears on bright highlights towards the edges of the frame and is easily correctable in photoshop; flare only happens if you have the sun in or very close to the frame - out of 50-odd shots I took today, only one had flare and that wouldn't have happened if I'd had a hood on the lens.

Bokeh is smooth and pleasant to my eyes, the lens is built like a tank, I really can't think of anything not to love about it. Less common than the more well known 3.5/35-70 but imho, a better lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what focusing method you used. AF or MF? Very Happy

Btw I agree, pretty good colors and bokeh for a zoom lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great combo, does't look to zoom lens at all

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, and it costs 20-30ukp. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fine lens, very good contrast between the sky and the highlights of the ground and buildings. Sony made a good decision to take over Minolta.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta's coatings were superb, as you can see by the contrast Lloydy points out. Smile