Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cannot identify problem within lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Cannot identify problem within lens Reply with quote

Seller is promising no surface damage to either front or rear element of this lens. He is describing the radial line you see as a "scratch" or "crack" on one of the elements INSIDE the lens. I've never seen damage like this INSIDE a lens. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what that radial line might be, if we take the seller at his word that the damage is inside and not on the front or rear surfaces? I'm trying to decide whether this lens is repairable or not. It that's a scratch or crack, the lens is not repairable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom bluish dark part of the glass could be separation. Separation repair only makes sense with very expensive lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen single strands of fungus look like that....but with out the lens in hand, hard to say what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it could be a scratch or cleaning mark, it could be a coating issue, hard to say with it not in front of me, different angles help to sort it out.
The bottom isn't seperation but the inside of the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crack has depth; a scratch is superficial.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo in the OP shows the lens from the rear. Here is a photo of the same flaw, as viewed from the front:

Remember, the promise is that the problem is within the lens, not on either the front or rear surfaces.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damage inside the lens is not very uncommon. For example, my Vivitar CF 2/28 have a small nick in one of the element inside although it has never been opened.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, calvin83, and everyone for your opinions. I certainly agree if the lens has been opened all bets are off and anything is possible.

But I've not seen interior scratching on any lens which never was opened. That's not to say such a thing is impossible, but I have trouble conjuring how it would occur.

I have seen, I guess we all have seen, lubricant smeared onto interior elements of a lens. And I can envision how that happens, especially over a long period of time. I suppose an interior element could be cracked if the lens is dropped. But how an interior surface could be scratched, without opening the lens, is beyond me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely has been opened and inadvertently scratched.
Should make no difference in performance though of course will reduce collectors value.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lens is this from? if it's a common lens, I'd look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Konica lens, looks like a 50/1.7 or perhaps a 100/2.8? Of all the Konica lenses I've taken apart (roughly 8 to 10 different ones) the only ones with cemented elements were 135 mm lenses. Could it be a fibre of some sort?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
... Could it be a fibre of some sort?

This was my first thought. I think I can see a mirror image of the "fibre" both from the front and back element surface.
I've also encountered a fractured element inside an objective. That one was clearly dropped though. These special types of glass show quite curious fracture lines and it can not be ruled out.

Gamera

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
What lens is this from? if it's a common lens, I'd look elsewhere.

It's a Konica 57mm f1.4, certainly a much sought-after lens. Here is the auction:

Click here to see on Ebay

Out of fear, I did not bid. But you can see a couple of very experienced lens buyers did bid.

I really am attracted to the possibility the flaw could be a piece of fibre of some sort. This if we take the seller at his word that the anomaly is not on either the front or rear surfaces.

Still, even though it sold for a low price, the lens was perhaps not sufficiently inexpensive to allow for the (I think very real) risk that so obvious a flaw might be uncorrectable.