Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS Nikkor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS Nikkor Reply with quote

When most people think of this lens they think of a lens used for news, nature or sports. I like to think out of that box. If I have the room outdoors (at least 100 feet) this is a superb full length portrait lens as well. It is sharp as a razor, has a gorgeous bokeh, and despite it's size, is hand holdable above 1/500 sec but also works perfectly on a monopod. I usually use it 1 stop down to f/4 and usually have to use a drop in 8x ND filter so I can use 1/200 sec so I synch with my wireless fill flash. The depth of field is a matter of a couple of feet at normal full length portrait distances.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem being you need a megaphone to communicate with the talent.
Great effect though - as you point out, enough DOF to get the figure fully sharp while blowing the background to smithereens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
the problem being you need a megaphone to communicate with the talent.
Great effect though - as you point out, enough DOF to get the figure fully sharp while blowing the background to smithereens.

It is not too bad, they are less than a hundred feet away. wireless trigging of fill flash strobes are a must though!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
I am very fond of the long tele look Very Happy

Thanks! So am I. The very shallow depth of field and compressed perspective produces a terrific effect

One of the biggest drawbacks I see to DX and its smaller format is the fact that lenses are necessarily shorter for the equivalent focal length and slower, ergo, images taken with them usually have greater depth of field, even wide open. This is exacerbated by the fact that most people who shoot digital also shoot zooms, which are generally slower than single focal length primes. Nothing can ruin a well executed portrait faster than a sharp or nearly sharp background, especially if it busy or has a well defined horizon. Although I love my 85mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/1.8 Nikkors for indoor work, the shortest lens I usually use outdoors is my 135mm f/3.5 Nikkor. My 180mm f/2.8 Nikkor @ f/4 is really my go-to outdoor portraiture lens. If I have a lot of room, 100 feet or more, I will go to the 300mm f/2.8 here as I did above.

The 180mm f/2.8 one stop down is just the perfect outdoor portrait lens for singles or couples if you ask me............

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great success, congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I registered just to respond to this OP. Long time lurker and researcher

NikonAIS, can you tell me which drop in filter you used? I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly which filter to buy. My 300/2.8 AIS came with a drop in filter and two drop in filter holders (one screw in one gelatin).

I purchased it basically after seeing these portraits! Absolutely phenomenal! Every time I do a 300mm portrait image search, these come up near the top.

I see assorted 39mm filters on ebay, but don't want to waste my money buying the wrong kind. I think I'd like a 4 stop and an 8 stop for precisely the same reason you use them.

Any help greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naksala wrote:
Hello! I registered just to respond to this OP. Long time lurker and researcher

NikonAIS, can you tell me which drop in filter you used? I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly which filter to buy. My 300/2.8 AIS came with a drop in filter and two drop in filter holders (one screw in one gelatin).

I purchased it basically after seeing these portraits! Absolutely phenomenal! Every time I do a 300mm portrait image search, these come up near the top.

I see assorted 39mm filters on ebay, but don't want to waste my money buying the wrong kind. I think I'd like a 4 stop and an 8 stop for precisely the same reason you use them.

Any help greatly appreciated!

I just keep the standard Nikon LC37 in both this lens and the 600mm f/4 O have