Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Color planar 50mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Color planar 50mm f2.8 Reply with quote

This one puzzled me. Anybody know about this lens?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-Icarex-35-with-Color-Planar-2-8-50-lens-/261546894452?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item3ce568e474

OK looking closer at the lens its color-pantar. A whole different kind of horse of a different color.

Last edited by jamaeolus on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is re-bagged Tessar, I had M42 Tessar from Icarex 35TM damn good

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a color-pantar. A triplet, IIRC, so probably a cheap option for the icarex, so probably nothing to write home about - probably it was the cheaper alternative to a tessar.
But that's only speculation, as I never used one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
It's a color-pantar. A triplet, IIRC, so probably a cheap option for the icarex, so probably nothing to write home about - probably it was the cheaper alternative to a tessar.
But that's only speculation, as I never used one.

Correct, it's a triplet, made by Voigtlander.

The 'Tessar' for Icarex is actually a Color-Skopar made by Voigtlander. All the Icarex lenses were Voigtlander designs made in their factory but badged Zeiss.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe even more exciting than Tessar for bokeh maniacs Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried the Pantar but being a triplet, it probably performs like the Meyer Domiplan, Meyer Trioplan, Ludwig Meritar, Zeiss Triotar, Schneider Radionar and the many other triplets - soft and glowy wide open with swirly bokeh, all due to uncorrected spherical aberration, sharp stopped down.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss Ikon Contaflex also sports a Pantar but it is 2.8/45
OH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contaflex Pantar is also a triplet but it was manufactured by Rodenstock for Zeiss Ikon. The front element can be removed and replaced by two add-ons of 35 and 85mm.