Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 Model 52A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 Model 52A Reply with quote

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/52A.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yalcinaydin/sets/72157608482443470/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good lens I know very well, congrats for your new toy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I fully agree with Attila, a wonderful lens. My favourite for macro/portrait...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. Later version 19AH was introduced as much better performer. This is not true. I would say that 19AH is sharper wide open but 52A is more contrasty -even wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also didn't find much difference between them , both are just great lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a sale ad for this, now I'm both confused and shamed Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell if you want I am sure later you will take another one Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the 19AH and 52A and find the 19AH a much better performer. The 52A does have closer macro. The 19AH is also a one touch zoom that some don't like and has more bulk and weight than the 52A.
I don't find the 52A to be very good wide open while the 19AH is very sharp wide at all FL. I would and do prefer to use the 19AH, in fact I now never use the 52A.
I find the 19AH to be a great winter walk around wildlife lens being excellent at f3.5 all through the range and it just seems to 'Pop' into focus without effort.
I actually find my f3.8/4 80-210 103A to be as good as the 52A and the lens is nice compact size (Don't mistake it with the early f3.8/4 80-210)
Comparing the test figures on the 52A and 103A confirms this.
103A
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/103A.html
52A
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/52A.html
While the figures for the 19AH show why it replaced the 52A
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/19AH.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussions of lens design tradeoffs (and thus, optimal use for each lens) on the adaptall site are really nice. I wish other brands had similarly detailed information available.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
The discussions of lens design tradeoffs (and thus, optimal use for each lens) on the adaptall site are really nice. I wish other brands had similarly detailed information available.

I agree it is a very good site. He really knows what he is writting about and he also tries to be unbiased and fair. Unfortunately he seems to have gone missing. He no longer posts anywhere and his mail goes unanwered.
It will be a shame if the Adaptall site goes down.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: disassemble information needed Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I got this classic lens (Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 Model 52A) some time ago from ebay, a copy with fungus.
In the past i have managed to disassemble the back of the lens (from the mount, up to the aperture mechanism) and cleaned some elements. I can provide information to anyone interested on how this is done, as I have kept notes.

I have also tried to disassemble the front of the lens, because I need to clean the forth element counting from the front.
I have managed to disassemble only the two first elements from the front. After this a ring holding the third and forth elements (counting from the front) does not seem that it can be unscrewed. Seems something more complicated should be done there. I need some information exactly on this point, in order to be able to remove the forth lens element.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: disassemble information needed Reply with quote

epocalibera wrote:
Hello everybody,
I got this classic lens (Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 Model 52A) some time ago from ebay, a copy with fungus.
In the past i have managed to disassemble the back of the lens (from the mount, up to the aperture mechanism) and cleaned some elements. I can provide information to anyone interested on how this is done, as I have kept notes.

I have also tried to disassemble the front of the lens, because I need to clean the forth element counting from the front.
I have managed to disassemble only the two first elements from the front. After this a ring holding the third and forth elements (counting from the front) does not seem that it can be unscrewed. Seems something more complicated should be done there. I need some information exactly on this point, in order to be able to remove the forth lens element.

You got mail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: disassemble information needed Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
epocalibera wrote:
Hello everybody,

You got mail

Hi JohnBar and thank you for your reply.
If I am not wrong you replied to my message and told me that you have sent me something on my email concerning post.
As far as I can see i have not received anything from you until now.
Kind Regards!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you JohnBar for the information on the message:
You told me "remove rubber from focus ring,then remove metallic tape, then you see how to remove the front tube".
This did the job. I am working on the lens now cleaning the front elements. I have also discovered the secret on how to remove the third and forth element. There is also another secret hidden behind the lens hood: 4 screws hold the ring with all the four elements into position, and for this it could not be unscrewed.
So there are two ways on removing the four front elements.
Here are two pictures from what I do now:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good.
Now you must reveal the method to remove the secret screws behind the hood Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
Very good.
Now you must reveal the method to remove the secret screws behind the hood Smile

I did not unscrew the secret screws because behind the hood: those screws block the ring with the 3rd and the 4th front elements from unscrewing. I was afraid that if I unscrew this, I might loose the correct focusing of the lens.
So I preferred the other way as you have seen on the pictures above: I removed the front of the lens totally .
this is not an easy method as well, but seemed to me more safe, and after all it revealed more glass elements to clear.
The front of the lens was totally unscrewed from the helicoid focus ring and i cleaned the glass elements.
It is not so easy to put it back together, there is only one correct position (of many) that the front element should be screwed back to the helicoid. Anyoe who is interested on doing this must be patient and carefull.
It is OK now i have cleaned the lens, I have fitted the parts together, tested and works OK.

Here is a picture for anyone who is interested to see at which point the lens hood can be unscrewed in order to reveal the secret screws behind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had expected that the hood became free as your photo shows, but the force required seemed excessive so I was not totally sure.

You did a good job

Perhaps now you can share how you cleaned the glass at the rear, as you said in your earlier post Smile