Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 2.8/90 Macro on EOS 450D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Sigma 2.8/90 Macro on EOS 450D Reply with quote

This is the AF version, but there is a manual version so I figured it was okay to post here.

Sadly, this is one of those old Sigmas that will only work wide open on digital EOS bodies, so these samples are all wide open.

The bokeh is to die for, so smooth, the colours are very vivid and it's pretty sharp. I will mostly use it on my film EOS bodies though due to the aperture restriction.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. Thx for sharing ! Smile

Ian, why is it unusable at other apertures on Caon Eos ?
Is this because of electronic incompability (I had this problem with old sigmas when I bought my first dslr) ?

Last edited by Olivier on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you got a gem there! Pity it could not be re-chipped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon changed the communication protocol in some way so that if you stop down the lens, you get an Err01.

This means these old Sigmas are available very cheaply. I have a pair of EOS 10qd I use often, as they can use unperforated microfilm so I have collected a few old Sigmas fr very little cost. Some aregreat, some are so-so.

The 3.5-4.5/21-35 is great, one of my favourite lenses for use on film, the 3.5-4.5/35-135 is so-so, sharp but lots of distortion. The UC APO 3.5-4.5/70-210 is quite nice, reasonably sharp wide open, better stopped down. I have a few more but apart from this 2.8/90, nothing that has impressed me, I want to find the 3.5/18 and 2.8/50 macro cheap, there is the 5.6/180 macro too, but hard to find cheap.

Here's a supermarket scan of a shot with the 2.8/90 macro at f4, it's razor sharp, I need to rescan it with my Plustek:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are exciting results - needing an AF 'kitten' lens for my D600, cheap, I just ordered one of these. Those are wide open too!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look good.