Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Lenses - Telemegor 250mm & Primotar 180mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Meyer Lenses - Telemegor 250mm & Primotar 180mm Reply with quote

I've always got my eyes out for interesting lenses and wonder about these two. If anyone has experience, do either of these lenses have much to offer? I don't want any average lenses, so must offer something unique. Thanks much.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to those precisely, but I have a Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 and I rather like it. Sharp wide open (which isn't that wide), good saturation and detail, nice bokeh, almost in the same league as my TeleTakumar 200/5.6 (but my Meyer focuses a bit more stiffly, needs a repack). My Meyer cost a whole US$27 on the bay, including shipping. Meyer has a good reputation -- if they are inexpensive, get them!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had the Primotar 180, but I had a Telemegor 250. I found it rather average as optical qualities go. .

Its a very cool-looking lens and very slim and light for its focal length. I have several f/4.5 250mm Japanese lenses and they are all much heavier/thicker and even longer.

I also had the Telemegor 5.5/180. Its also OK, but not great either. It is also extremely light and compact for what it is though.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primotar 180mm is f/3.5. I wonder if that's the only difference. Not small at all. Has a tripod ring and looks like it can serve duty as a battering ram. I've put a low bid in and if I get it, which I doubt, it will be less than $40.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly the Primotar 180 is different optical design from the Telemegors, different arrangement of groups.

The Primotar 180 was also designed as a medium-format lens (like the Telemegor 300 and 400 it has an interchangable mount for Pentacon 6, Exakta and M42)), hence its much larger than strictly necessary for a 35mm camera. The Telemegor 180 and 250 seem to have been intended for 35mm only.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The Primotar 180 was also designed as a medium-format lens (like the Telemegor 300 and 400 it has an interchangable mount for Pentacon 6, Exakta and M42)), hence its much larger than strictly necessary for a 35mm camera. The Telemegor 180 and 250 seem to have been intended for 35mm only.

Aha! Then that would explain why it would look like this:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the Telemegor 250 is just an average lens especially wide open,stopping down sharpens up a bit though...also the minimum focus distance is 3.3 meters.

Took the 250 out for a little exercise yesterday...

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Telemegor and Primotar lenses are designed in the old idiom: each covering a certain angle, but made in a series of different focal lengths. Then they're put into focussing mounts for use with reflex cameras.

The Telemegor is a true telephoto design of the earlier form, with two doublets separated by a large air space in between. I use the 180/5.5 and quite happy with it, although I notice a trace of curvilinear distortion at the edges. This distortion was finally eliminated by TTH, by the way.

The Primotar is similar to Tessar and covers a normal angle, so it means when used as a long-focus lens on a smaller image size, you are just using the middle bit of the image field. In the case of the 180mm, it's designed to cover 5"X7" format, so you are taking a 24mm X 36mm slice out of it. This also means the lens is physically long and heavy too.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But since the required M42 adapter provides the correct registration distance, the percentage of the image circle being used is no different than with a 180mm meant for 35mm FF.