Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[Q] Focal length for full length portraits
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: [Q] Focal length for full length portraits Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I was wondering which focal length is the most suitable to shoot full length portraits on a DX cropped sensor camera (Nikon D3100), with a shallow depth of field? I own a Carl Zeiss Pancolar 50/1.8 and Chinon 135/2.8. I was hoping that Chinon would be able to take that kind of shots, but it is somehow too short. What focal lengths should I check out and which lens are the best?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 135 should be ok for portraits, used at full aperture there will be plenty separation between subject and background. A 200mm will provide better but you will almost need 2-way radios to communicate with your subject Laughing . I usually use my Sigma 80-300 for this very purpose.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
a 135 should be ok for portraits, used at full aperture there will be plenty separation between subject and background. A 200mm will provide better but you will almost need 2-way radios to communicate with your subject Laughing . I usually use my Sigma 80-300 for this very purpose.

Many thanks for fast respond, I'll check it out soon Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: [Q] Focal length for full length portraits Reply with quote

otto_tz wrote:
Hi everyone. I was wondering which focal length is the most suitable to shoot full length portraits on a DX cropped sensor camera (Nikon D3100), with a shallow depth of field? I own a Carl Zeiss Pancolar 50/1.8 and Chinon 135/2.8. I was hoping that Chinon would be able to take that kind of shots, but it is somehow too short. What focal lengths should I check out and which lens are the best?

How far away from subject will you be located? You say "Chinon 135/2.8. I was hoping that Chinon would be able to take that kind of shots, but it is somehow too short.", indicating you are too far away for that lens. In this case, a longer focal length is needed. Somehow, I think we may be confused; that actually a wider lens is necessary. I'm guessing a normal lens for your camera would be perfect -- for crop sensor that is 28mm or 35mm lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: [Q] Focal length for full length portraits Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
otto_tz wrote:

How far away from subject will you be located? You say "Chinon 135/2.8. I was hoping that Chinon would be able to take that kind of shots, but it is somehow too short.", indicating you are too far away for that lens. In this case, a longer focal length is needed. Somehow, I think we may be confused; that actually a wider lens is necessary. I'm guessing a normal lens for your camera would be perfect -- for crop sensor that is 28mm or 35mm lens.
I thought to shoot from 3-6 meters, but now I realise it's impossible, so I've got to choose of these three: to get a 200 mm or longer lens, to get a suitable DX lens or to get a wide-angle MF lens as you've suggested. Your suggestion seems to be the solution, still I'll have to use Photoshop to simulate the focal length DOF. Anyway, thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: [Q] Focal length for full length portraits Reply with quote

otto_tz wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
otto_tz wrote:

I thought to shoot from 3-6 meters, but now I realise it's impossible, so I've got to choose of these three: to get a 200 mm or longer lens, to get a suitable DX lens or to get a wide-angle MF lens as you've suggested. Your suggestion seems to be the solution, still I'll have to use Photoshop to simulate the focal length DOF. Anyway, thank you.

To shoot from 3-6 meters, the Carl Zeiss Pancolar 50/1.8, used with large apertures, should have both thin dof, & fit a standing person in portrait orientation.