Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meritar - Domiplan comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Meritar - Domiplan comparison Reply with quote

There was a recent query about how the 50mm Meritar and Domiplan lenses compare - here are a few to show how they behave in some particular circumstances. Dull day with heavy cloud, camera on tripod. All pictures jpegs from Lumix G1, nothing done to them apart from cropping and resizing.

The Meritar is the later M42 version with the five-bladed iris, the Domiplan is an Exakta fitting one and has a six-bladed iris. First set of pictures taken at their closest focus distance of 2.5 feet / 0.75 meters. The second set was taken on a 10mm extension tube with the lens set a 0.75 meters. The Meritar stops improving after f5.6 and the Domiplan shows very little change. Neither is exactly in the "major league" for out and out performance at wide apertures but I think both do commendably well for close up and moderate macro pictures where edge and corners aren't important. And they're still cheap to buy.

Click on pictures for better viewing.
1: The 0.75m 'target'

2: at full aperture

3: at f5.6

And to see if a more complex lens really is better than a triplet at f2.8 - Nikkor HC 50/2 of similar vintage.

Close-ups at full aperture

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, very much

Very informative and instructive job.

It shows very clearly the character of each lens, and has the reference of a third six elements nikkor.

Of both triplets I prefer the colder rendering and sharpness of the domiplan.

I think that it can fight with the average tessar type lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Meritar - Domiplan comparison Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
There was a recent query about how the 50mm Meritar and Domiplan lenses compare - here are a few to show how they behave in some particular circumstances. Dull day with heavy cloud, camera on tripod. All pictures jpegs from Lumix G1, nothing done to them apart from cropping and resizing.

The Meritar is the later M42 version with the five-bladed iris, the Domiplan is an Exakta fitting one and has a six-bladed iris. First set of pictures taken at their closest focus distance of 2.5 feet / 0.75 meters. The second set was taken on a 10mm extension tube with the lens set a 0.75 meters. The Meritar stops improving after f5.6 and the Domiplan shows very little change. Neither is exactly in the "major league" for out and out performance at wide apertures but I think both do commendably well for close up and moderate macro pictures where edge and corners aren't important. And they're still cheap to buy.

Click on pictures for better viewing.
1: The 0.75m 'target'

2: at full aperture

3: at f5.6

And to see if a more complex lens really is better than a triplet at f2.8 - Nikkor HC 50/2 of similar vintage.

Close-ups at full aperture

But no close up at full aperture with Nikon? Wink

It shows what they are capable of, and why they are still so inexpensive. A very good photographer (as yourself) can make decent photos. But the average enthusiastic amateur (as myself) would end up with lot and lots of substandard shots to get the few keepers.
I have a domiplan 50, and a couple tessar 50 2.8 I shall have to see how they compare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Meritar - Domiplan comparison Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
....I have a domiplan 50, and a couple tessar 50 2.8 I shall have to see how they compare.

jamaeolus. Excellent idea.

We are Washington.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, you need to chose the subject to emphasise or minimise the characteristics of these lenses ! It will be interesting to see how much 'better' a Tessar is.

I didn't use the Nikkor on an extension tube because I don't have any Nikon tubes Wink But I did take a shot at full aperture with my Canon FD 50/3.5 Macro - once again, chosing the subject carefully lets the simple lenses make a good showing in comparison.