Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help me rate this lens....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Help me rate this lens.... Reply with quote

Have to test a 150mm lens, made a few tests shots unfortunately w/o a fitting sunshade.

How would you rate it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image samples look great, I can't see anything to complain about regarding this lens. What lens is it, what camera did you use, and what processing did you apply?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit strange that you Klaus, of all people, would ask this question. But I take the plunge, from what I can tell from these samples I'd say sharpness looks good, bokeh pleasant and colors quite dull

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems this lens is single coated. Are you using a 150mm lens or a 6" lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like mentioned above the pictures are quite "clear" and the bits in focus at a distance can be even a bit crisp.
The in sharpness focusing at the near end seems not up to the same level like the far end.
Colors appear muted in dull light.

I am not sure I can say much about bokeh from the two examples that have some .
The pictures are also not made to test or push flare?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens seems to be from some sort of copying device I guess. I know it is f=150mm and it seems single coated indeed.

I can only use it in some crude setup, as it has a thread I have no adapter for. It is obvious that it is quite sensitive to stray light,
but I have no sunshade for it, so maybe I make one from cardboard, as indeed the contrast is rather low and the colors dull (rainy
day actually today...). Will see if I have a chance to re-shoot by tomorrow, weather permitting.

I have mixed feelings about it, so I wanted some other opinions Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell my impression is nothing special , but impression is very dependent from subject, I had a few lens in this focal length all was similar like this , even cheapest Tamron 150mm f3.5 zoom sharp, low contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you got the Cooke Copying 6" if you say it is 6". Wink

The photos seems OK to me if they are taken with a hood in a rainy day. The super six series have very low contrast but the Asians pays a large sum for one. As long as the bokeh is nice, it is a lens to keep.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I think you got the Cooke Copying 6" if you say it is 6". Wink

The photos seems OK to me if they are taken with a hood in a rainy day. The super six series have very low contrast but the Asians pays a large sum for one. As long as the bokeh is nice, it is a lens to keep.

No, it is not not that one and the lens construction also seems different, 5 elements in 4 groups it seems (from reflections).

Permanent heavy rain today, so no chance to shoot again...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny today and made a (seemingly too short) clamp on sunshade...harsh lunch time sun it was.

Set is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157646069278604/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one I especially like... foraging bee on Helianthus tuberosus ("Topinambur")

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I forgot the words I was looking for. Oh yeah, found it. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I think it was "bitingly sharp". A good performer at macro range no doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Here some in late afternoon light...

Very sharp, but also very sensitive to light situations (compare #3 + #4)
Best for controlled light situations or studio work I'd say...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great photographer makes any lens look good Wink
What about showing us this mystery lens? Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lars!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really beautiful shots there Klaus, have you posted the photo of the slipped roof tile before as it looks familiar to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes, many times (as the one with the golden globe in it) as it is one of my "standard targets"

Here one I haven't shown, shot against the blue sky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Klaus! The flower shots have bold color and pleasant bokeh.
As everyone has already indicated, the lens has excellent sharpness and a contrast and color palette which is largely dependent on shooting conditions. Have you thought of trying this optic for portraits?

P>