Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I've been merging, lots of merging
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: I've been merging, lots of merging Reply with quote

I have taken a liking to the merge feature of Photoshop and find myself doing more and more of it. It is a limited version of the Brenizer method. I do it for any of a few reasons; I want a larger image with very good sharpness, perspective, I can't otherwise get the shot I want because of things in the foreground; or I'm just too lazy to change lenses. These are some recent shots merging anywhere from just two images to 12 or more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent images. Good compositions!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Karen. I have visited your flickr - very, very nice. You should post more here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images, you have got the technique well. I do this all the time now, making panoramas. It can fall apart when there is not enough detail in the subject - as I'm sure you have discovered.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, or not enough overlap. Also, any movement will make it impossible. When people are part of it, you must do them quickly top to bottom, then the rest of the area. In my window shot above from 12 images (but a lot of overlap), if you look carefully you will see a stray vine just to the right of center bottom. It was windy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Thank you, Karen. I have visited your flickr - very, very nice. You should post more here.
Thank you very much, I am posting as often as I can. I really wish I had more time to play with MF lenses next to my other photography and art projects. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try to capture some perspectives that wouldn't be possible without the stitching technique - this is when you really discover the power of the technique.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You should try to capture some perspectives that wouldn't be possible without the stitching technique - this is when you really discover the power of the technique.

Well, panorama is one, but I've limited interest in them. Done a few. What I have yet to do is a real Brenizer with 30 or more images to create more 3D pop. I did do one that had 18 images, but there was probably too much overlap to give the desired effect - all done handheld. Other than being incredibly sharp, I don't see any other benefit from this one:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, panoramas are often hard to make interesting, where they do work well is when there is a lot of detail throughout the frame, such as you would get with a cityscape.

The Brenzier thing is very dependent on the subject and it's placement in relation to the other elements in the frame.

One way I have found of getting a 3D effect is to combine some conservative HDR toning with the NIK sharpener plugin - it has a 'local contrast' slider, turn tat up a lot and in conjunction with the wider tonal range you get with HDR, and you can get some really 3D shots. I'll see if I can find some examples to show you.

The lens you use also has an effect, some lenses work much better than others.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks normal, which I like, as the method used should not be visible.
Some nice ones in there...