Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 15mm f3.5 Asph A7R
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Takumar 15mm f3.5 Asph A7R Reply with quote

Early morning walk with Takumar 15mm f3.5 Asph - this lens was a major reason to get an A7R...

Click to enlarge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumar 15mm f3.5 Asph A7R at f3.5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,I bet you are very happy with this combination.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing for 1970s lens, yes? So much fun, eh? 15mm Takumar & A7r in a place such as this? I am so amazed looking at all the perfect straight lines of composition.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how one of these lenses would handle the Australian landscape, or is it better suited to buildings,streetscape?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well, as expected. I have that lens sitting around unused, maybe I should use it... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mo, Visualopsins and Klaus.

I didn't realized that this lens became a collector item in 1980 when I bought it.
More info can be found here:
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/ultra-wide/K15f3.5-i.html

Dear Mo,
I am sure it is usable in Australian landscape as well Smile It took me awhile to get use to it. In spite that it is a 15mm, focus is critical, and the A7r handles it perfectly. Cloud cast days give best results as I don't need to challenge the dynamic range of the sensor. On film bodies, f3.5 might be too dim in many cases, especially during sunrise/sunset minutes when the sky is more dramatic in landscape scenes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts Hoan,it maybe awhile before I mange to snare one of these lenses. I would like to see some more images from this lens...only if you have them and don't mind of course.

What was the most challenging for you when using this lens? was it the light or finding the right perspective of the scene that works using this type of lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mo,
This lens covers a vast area of the scene. The 1st challenge is to exclude unwanted items. Given that it also includes the sky, which normally too bright when compared to the rest of the scene, cloud cast or sunrise/sunset gives best color/contrast results. Distinctive character at wide open is vignetting at the corner. Light measurement is best with manual/test/experience and having dynamic range of the sensor in mind, ie K5 raw is better than K20 raw. Knowing the body iso/noise limit is a plus. The remaining is composition/perspective/distances/DOF.

I have some more from that day. It's not often I came back with so many usable photos from this lens. The lens is also heavy, and stays home when I am traveling.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graet shots, and impressive performance by the combo.
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool #1 #3 and the 2nd too last image of your second set,the lens handles the curves very well as well as the straight lines.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Hoan, impressive combo you got there! Very Happy
Do I see part of a hood up in the left corner on the flowerbowl picture?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.
Really nice results.
I did not even know about the lens as I thought the 15/3.5 existed on K and A versions only.

Too bad I won't have a chance to get one.... I think....

Last edited by pinholecam on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

No Lars, that little spot on the corner is my fault. It is the roof corner of another building. The lens and integrated hood is perfectly aligned.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Cool #1 #3 and the 2nd too last image of your second set,the lens handles the curves very well as well as the straight lines.

Yes! Lines & curves are free of distortion -- amazing correction of lens aberrations...

There is a mis-understanding about using wide angle lenses for landscapes that leads to mis-application and disappointment with sharpness -- the view is wide yet far away, making far details very tiny. Wink Best use of wide angle lens is for showing close subject in surroundings as Hoan Pham has done here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Hoan! I can now recognise some of these buildings! I haven't had a chance to process the shots we took together, but will soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You maybe know, that the original optical design of this lens, is originally coming from the Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/15mm, based on a former collaboration with an Zeiss/Pentax eye glass business! The Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/15mm was also available as Super Elmar 3,5/15mm for the LEICA R-cameras!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:
You maybe know, that the original optical design of this lens, is originally coming from the Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/15mm, based on a former collaboration with an Zeiss/Pentax eye glass business! The Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/15mm was also available as Super Elmar 3,5/15mm for the LEICA R-cameras!

Read about it here:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/15mm_Zeiss_Pentax/00_pag.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read about problems with wide angles and A7/r sensors. No issues here?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s more of a short register distance wide angle problem, not wide angles in general Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
It`s more of a short register distance wide angle problem, not wide angles in general Wink

Then it will be more problematic with rangefinder lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Then it will be more problematic with rangefinder lenses?

the 15mm heliar, 21mm zeiss contax G (two of mine tiny sized) give colorshift, blurred edges.
They are a bit better in BW with the A7r.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very fine images Hoan and a perfect combo.

Nice to see this places in summer where we have had our walk during the winter and some snow.

Wink