Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Island of Giglio, Costa Concordia Wreck Recovery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Island of Giglio, Costa Concordia Wreck Recovery Reply with quote

I went to Giglio island the last three days, to shoot some video footage of the beginning of the last phase of the removal of the Costa Concordia from the beautiful shores of the island. The ship was raised by 2-4 meters and moved 30 meters towards east (= away from the coast). Now the salvagers will work on it for some days, and then probably on monday it will be towed away to Genova, where it will be demolished. I managed to snap some photos between one take and the other: the island is beautiful, showing probably the clearest seawater I've ever seen, and the granite cliffs diving in the sea are just beautiful. The wreck of the ship, on the other hand, is quite a sad sight: it's huge, and the side that rested on the rocks until they parbuckled it has a very sinister aspect.

1 - A view of Giglio Porto, the village where the main port of the Island is, on the side where the Concordia wreck is sitting
Contax Distagon 2.8/28 MMJ

IMG_5797 di A_Anything, su Flickr

2 - A lot of people was following the operations
Contax Planar 1.4/85

IMG_5810 di A_Anything, su Flickr

3 - And every corner of the island was packed with camera crews of all sizes
Contax Planar 1.4/85

IMG_5868 di A_Anything, su Flickr

4 - The damaged side of the ship
MC Rubinar 8/500 (a bit shaky)

IMG_5844 di A_Anything, su Flickr

5 - People working on the ship
MC Rubinar 8/500 (a bit shaky)

IMG_5847 di A_Anything, su Flickr

6 - Montecristo Island, seen from the other side of Giglio
Jupiter 21M 4/200

IMG_5886 di A_Anything, su Flickr

7 & 8- The shore on the west side of the island, no wrecks here
Contax Distagon 2.8/28

IMG_5894 di A_Anything, su Flickr

IMG_5897 di A_Anything, su Flickr

9 - Back to the east side of Giglio
Contax Distagon 2.8/28

IMG_5906 di A_Anything, su Flickr

10 - A little beach inside Giglio Porto
Contax Distagon 2.8/28

IMG_5913 di A_Anything, su Flickr

11 - Another one
Contax Distagon 2.8/28

IMG_5916 di A_Anything, su Flickr

All pics shot with a 5DIII, little to no PP in Aperture.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very beautiful place!
Hope that man made stuffs do not pollute the nature...

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done presentation !

This Distagon is something else !

Thanks for sharing

Congrats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done, very crisp and clear!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
This is a very beautiful place!
Hope that man made stuffs do not pollute the nature...

Thanks for sharing.

Official sources continuously stress on how much effort has been put throughout all the phases in order to avoid environmental disasters - not that a 45.000 tons wreck on the beach is something different from a catastrophe - but in theory there's continuosly monitoring of water pollution and possible spills. People are even allowed to swim quite close to the wreck itself, bathable areas are delimited by those orange floating barriers. I hope everything is just like they say, because the island is a real paradise, and part of a natural reserve as some unique species live there, such as a kind of giant clams that were on the sea bottom right next to the wreck, and were picked up one by one and carried away to a safer place by coast guard divers.

Mir wrote:
Very well done presentation !

This Distagon is something else !

Thanks for sharing

Congrats

Thanks Marcel,
yes, that lens is great, and it's the main reason why almost all my other 28's (and I have quite a few of them) are gathering dust recently.
Also, I have been positively impressed by the camera: I use it often for video, but it's the first time that I take some time to take pictures with it with using lenses I know.

kds315* wrote:
Very well done, very crisp and clear!

Thanks Klaus, but I think big part of the praise for that goes to the camera, lenses, and the sturdy video tripod I was using Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful place, stunning lens performance,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 is my favorite too