Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon p rangefinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Canon p rangefinder Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience of this camera?
It seems like a pretty solid camera. Are there any issues with it?
What would be a good price for one?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just noticed your question - nice camera but check for condition of shutter blinds and, more importantly, the state of the viewfinder and rangefinder. The viewfinder set-up is prone to deterioration whch can cause the secondary rangefinder image to become unclear, dim or even invisible. That was fairly common even back in the 1980s when the cameras were a lot younger than they are now. Sorting this out can mean de-cementing or replacing some parts (so I've read) which can be hard to source. A good one is great, a problem camera is one to leave alone.

As for value, well, take a look at eBay international sellers. Plenty there with 'Buy-it-Now' prices that continue to be unsold - so you know the value is surely less than those Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Only just noticed your question - nice camera but check for condition of shutter blinds and, more importantly, the state of the viewfinder and rangefinder. The viewfinder set-up is prone to deterioration whch can cause the secondary rangefinder image to become unclear, dim or even invisible. That was fairly common even back in the 1980s when the cameras were a lot younger than they are now. Sorting this out can mean de-cementing or replacing some parts (so I've read) which can be hard to source. A good one is great, a problem camera is one to leave alone.

As for value, well, take a look at eBay international sellers. Plenty there with 'Buy-it-Now' prices that continue to be unsold - so you know the value is surely less than those Very Happy

Thank you very much for the important details about this camera. I glad to finally get a reply on this topic
and especially an informed one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Canon rangefinder cameras - don't be put off by what I wrote, just be sure to get one in sound condition. From what I've seen in UK adverts, you might get a Canon 7 for less than the price of a P, but having had a 7 and a VI (=6) in the past I can understand anyone preferring the P, which is pretty much the same as the VI apart from the viewfinder. And I once, very, very, briefly, had a VI-T (6-T). All lovely cameras.

I don't know where you live but if you have a look at http://www.peterloy.com/stock-list.php you'll see this firm has several Canon rangefinder models for sale; they're not a cheapskate firm and although their prices aren't bargain basement they do have the reputation of being fair and reliable. I should say I have no connection with them and have never bought anything from them myself. I have bought some Canon rf gear from MW Classics - http://www.mwclassic.com/acatalog/ - and they were good to deal with, although once again not at rock-bottom prices.

Good luck in finding a nice camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S - did you see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANON-P-35MM-RANGEFINDER-WITH-LEICA-M39-LTM-SCREW-MOUNT-/181456430265?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item2a3fa564b9 ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the new information. I will be checking out a camera from a local seller first.
It will also include a lens.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook

Just an update about the rangefinder. I decided to go and look at it with my stepson after much consideration,
but first I had him read and translate the add from Hungarian to see if I missed anything using Google Translator.
Well I did miss one important thing, the person was looking for one himself! After I had spent so much time researching and thinking about whether to buy it on my limited budget! Anyway, I learned something about different
rangefinders and developed some desire to buy one in the future. Thanks again for your useful comments.

So for now, back to my Zorki 6. Smile