Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma 100-300/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Sigma 100-300/4 Reply with quote

This lens is an AF model but I can only use it manually. It has a Nikon mount but luckily for me, a manual aperture plus full time manual focus override.

My usual testing ground....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Very well done!

Thanks Carsten.

More details about the lens here http://www.photozone.de/reviews/369-sigma-af-100-300mm-f4-nikon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome focussing skills.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Mije wrote:
Awesome focussing skills.

+1

Like most things, it just takes a little practice Wink

Thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images next have zero sharpening (unlike above), just the usual minor adjustments like exposure and white balance.

The Bengal Eagle Owl, called Bonsai, recognises me these days and comes to stand on my head. You can see in one photo that he is on his way to say hello to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent again Smile This lens is a well known performer!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow very nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning series, I can't possibly achieve such results from expensive AF lenses. TFS.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful animals, great performance lens and photographer,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+++1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you're too kind Embarassed

The lens is going to live in my car from now on, so it will always be available when I head out somewhere.
The focus is a little on the 'heavy' side but that may be because it's an AF lens, other than that I love it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning shots. Beautiful birds.

I wish i had that kind of testing area Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shoots, I think lens no matter, you did it with many others so well I remember for them Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouwesok wrote:
Stunning shots. Beautiful birds.

I wish i had that kind of testing area Laughing

Thank you.

Yeah, I'm lucky to live only a mile away from this falconry display. I've visited enough times to have a vague idea about the speed of each bird (depends on the wind) but their direction of flight is different every time I go there. It's not easy, but it is very rewarding.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Beautiful shoots, I think lens no matter, you did it with many others so well I remember for them Smile

Thanks Attila.

Some lenses are better (or easier to use) than others for this, but it's not always about size and weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this Sigma a few years ago and it was stunning. I also had the Tokina AF 100-300/4 which was equally great except for more pronounced purple fringing. I thought you had the Contax 100-300/5.6, or do I remember incorrectly? If not, how would you compare the two?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
I had this Sigma a few years ago and it was stunning. I also had the Tokina AF 100-300/4 which was equally great except for more pronounced purple fringing. I thought you had the Contax 100-300/5.6, or do I remember incorrectly? If not, how would you compare the two?

I don't have that Contax but I really wish I did! (I think ManualG has one) The Sigma is superb, up to about 250mm then it drops off a little. The Sigma has hardly any CA too, it's only noticeable in extreme conditions. I even think my Tair-3 could be relegated to dust-gatherer status now Sad
I haven't tried this Tokina.