Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Loaned my friend's kids a camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Loaned my friend's kids a camera Reply with quote

I loaned my friend's 5- and 8-yer-olds an Akira 7000 plastic camera. It has an auto advance motor, which was great. It's fixed focus, about three-6 feet from the camera. There's an aperture, which helps, kind of. Most of the shots were drain grates and fences, but there were some INCREDIBLE shots, too. Here are some. The films were some Surveillance P4 and Foma 400, both at 200.

Every one of these was taken by one of her kids.

every... one...

This is me explaining how film works to the younger of the two.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic pov.
Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a lot of these 'toy' cameras around, I had a Mintax with auto wind and a focus free optical lens. They are just a modern version of a box camera. They do the job and the quality is ok for the layman. The problem with these cameras was they were vastly overpriced and sold as pro equipment complete with tripod and flash.

Your friend's kids would love it, because it looks like a 'real' camera.

I wonder what it could do in the hands of an experienced photographer. Have you tried it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adult subjects seem more natural (or goofy) when a child has a camera. I like the experiment and I like the results....tell them they can work on focus next time.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a test roll of 12 frames to see if worked. IT burns through four AA batteries every five rolls of film (!!!) and so I'm glad I use rechargeables. I do plan to try and take actual photos with it. Now that I know where the focal points are -- 3-6 feet from the lens -- I can probably take some okay portraits. This camera seems to be okay at that.

The adults definitely had a good time. Actually, most of them thought there was no film in the camera. Yeah. They thought I just gave Dee and Persephone an empty camera to play with. Very Happy

This one did have the original flash with it. Such a silly get-up. I had hoped the flash would come off (the eBay photo wasn't great) and it comes off the camera but not off the flash bracket. It looks like a sub-par flash.

I like that this camera has a square aperture opening (that is actually a different aperture depending on whether the setting is reached by stopping down or opening up) and a curved film plane. The latter probably helps with sharpness (the edges are reasonable considering this is a toy camera) and light drop-off.