Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Graflex Super D 4X5 Test Portraits
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Graflex Super D 4X5 Test Portraits Reply with quote

I got a chance to test the Graflex I was loaned. Here are a few sample portraits. The Elgeet lens is pretty amazing.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3VGyXYi77EA/U7nM-fv7snI/AAAAAAABJDo/kKYxp2eI7CY/s1000/11.jpg

In short, I think I'll try and buy this camera. It takes pretty great photos. I tested it with a couple marigold macros and one of them was pretty sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great result, hope you enjoy the camera, I'd buy it also Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the results! can you discuss the user experience for those of us that havent had contact with LF?
tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a keeper, Jussi. I'm going to make an offer this weekend.

Tony, it's not dissimlar from using an old 35mm SLR with a waist level finder (Exa, Asahiflex, etc.) You look in the top, the horizontal plane is reversed, and then there's no instant-return mirror.

This model SHOULD have front lens off-axis pivoting, but does not on my copy due to a previous owner's happiness to use epoxy on everything. So it isn't like using a field camera or monorail in that there's no focusing screen.

It does take cut film OR roll film (through a roll film adapter), and to that end the results are significantly better than with 35mm. On 120, it looks a bit soft compared to 4X5 (assuming both prints are the same size.)

The biggest differences are the size (the camera is about as big as two gallons of milk) and swapping out the film back. If you're looking for a true LF experience with crazy movements, then a monorail is the way to go. The differences between a monorail and typical camera experiences is significant. If you want, I can speak somewhat to that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret Bourke-White

I have the tiny Graflex Series B 2x3; the nice thing about this one is it is small and Miranda extension tubes fit the lens mount, so I can do close up photos.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... famous female photographers with their Graflexes...

Dorothea Lange

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article last night from a 1957 Modern Photography where Andreas Feininger said, in essence, to never buy an LF SLR. As much as I like Feininger's work, I don't agree with that point. The LF SLRs definitely have a market -- people who don't want to seal with all those movements and carrying an obnoxious monorail camera. Don't get me wrong -- I love using my Calumet CC-401 (or 402, I forget which has the 24-inch bellows.) That said, the Graflex is definitely a superior portrait camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I picked up the Graflex. I also bought some plastic hinges and sheets and made a new viewing hood. I'm going to try out the hood tonight. I used super glue (the hood is NOT going to affixed to or stored with the camera) to make a piece that Z-folds onto itself. Right now it'll just rest on top of the piece but I'm going to make some notches in the plastic so that it's a better fit. When it's done, I'll share some photos in the DIY section. Needless to say, I'm jazzed about adding this to my kit and hope I can use it to take a lot of 4X5 portraits.