Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What Russian rangefinder?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: What Russian rangefinder? Reply with quote

Hello,

My sister arrived at Saint Petersburg yesterday, next week she will be at Moscow, and it makes me a temptation to ask her to bring me a 35mm rangefinder russian camera.
My wishes felt over Fed2 and Zorki4k models - any other option would be also considered, just explain it why.
Whats the most reliable model between these 2 cam's, and whit what i'll have more "sniper-silence" shooting?

Thank you,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All reliable just like others if they were maintained, construction is simple and reliable . I like FED-2 more. Easy to buy non working one , or if you believe it works , curtain has leaks.. you have either choice buy from trustworthy source to have working one or buy many non tested one and pray Smile I am over on both. Another problem if no leaks and camera works , speeds are rarely accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a very nice Zorki 4K yesterday, and I already have one so it will be for sale once I've put new light seals in it. Which might influence your choice from Russia. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy,

Glad to know, just let my sister send me the russian estimate for the camera and we'll talk later,

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got your name on it if you want it. Wink And it is a very nice one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy,

Thanks!

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: What Russian rangefinder? Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
Hello,

My sister arrived at Saint Petersburg yesterday, next week she will be at Moscow, and it makes me a temptation to ask her to bring me a 35mm rangefinder russian camera.
My wishes felt over Fed2 and Zorki4k models - any other option would be also considered, just explain it why.
Whats the most reliable model between these 2 cam's, and whit what i'll have more "sniper-silence" shooting?

Thank you,

Renato

I like the Zorki 6 for three reasons: It was made in the days when quality control in the USSR was still decent; it has a hinged back with a fixed take-up spool; and it has a wider rangefinder base. The camera's principal drawback is that its shutter speeds go from 1/30 to 1/500 only. But I can live with that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

after my own experience, a very fine rangefinder camera is the Kiev-4A especially if built between 1967-1969. My example was bought back in 1975 and it still perfectly works.

Older Kievs could be even better, but never forget that they have many decades of (sometimes hard) use on their "shoulders".

The Zorki-4 and the Zorki-6 can be a good choice too.

E.L.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kiev 4 and a Zorki 4, and i prefer shooting with the Zorki too Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. Just missed a Zorki 4K last month so instead I bought a FED 4b. Lightmeter is way off but that does not matter to me. Used to use handhold meter. Shot a test roll and I am happy. See my flickr page for the camera and some pictures.
Regards Cliff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"See my flickr page for the camera and some pictures. "

Where is it?

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renato, just click the "earth symbol" in my reply. It is a shortcut to my flickr page. Just like yours. You have some interesting pictures there.
Regards Cliff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: What Russian rangefinder? Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:

I like the Zorki 6 for three reasons: It was made in the days when quality control in the USSR was still decent; it has a hinged back with a fixed take-up spool; and it has a wider rangefinder base. The camera's principal drawback is that its shutter speeds go from 1/30 to 1/500 only. But I can live with that.

+1 Easy to use camera with nice wide rangefinder as mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What Russian rangefinder? Reply with quote

I too would go for a Zorki-6. They are very easy to CLA, so you can do this by yourself easily. They have a HUGE VF and focus is very smoothly. Plus, I really like the looks of them Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fed 3. Both knob wind and lever wind, but I think the knob wind versions look better and function smoother. I dislike the later Feds, they're very bulky and awkward to handle (plus the quality gets progressively worse the newer they are).

I've also used the Zorki 4. Solid camera, nice big viewfinder - only fault is the tiny advance knob and the removable take up spool that falls out every time you open the camera.

I tried Kievs twice... and will never try them again. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

I tried Kievs twice... and will never try them again. Evil or Very Mad

Were they non-functioning?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Mos6502 about the later Fed`s. I do collect Russian gear and almost 95% of all Fed 5`s that I have seen were fully usable. Only in rare cases where the camera is misused they are non working. You can easily buy a new Fed-5C(S) which is one of the better cameras from the Russian RF arsenal, for cents.

Anyway, Russian cameras are in general cheap. You can easily purchase a few, with lenses and not spend a 100$ on them. I`d suggest buy a few, trying them out and then chose the best one for you.

My list of cameras to buy:
Zorki-6
Fed-5S
Zorki-4 ( early 60`s)
Fed-5
Zorki-4K ( a big risk in my mind, as their quality is not super good. )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
I have to disagree with Mos6502 about the later Fed`s. I do collect Russian gear and almost 95% of all Fed 5`s that I have seen were fully usable. Only in rare cases where the camera is misused they are non working. You can easily buy a new Fed-5C(S) which is one of the better cameras from the Russian RF arsenal, for cents.

Does the Fed 5C have a better or brighter viewfinder than the Zorki 6?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid the Fed 5. I don't care how much anybody else likes them - they're definitely inferior to the earlier feds and this isn't even debatable.

Problems with the Fed 5:
*It's HUGE for a rangefinder, it's so tall that it's awkward to hold and shoot with.
*The extremely tall exposure counter makes pressing the shutter button awkward since you have to sort of reach over it with your finger, or hold the camera in a really awkward way.
*No strap lugs
*poorer fit and finish than earlier Feds, with the last ones being the worst (a Fed 5c was by far the most poorly finished camera I've owned that wasn't meant to be a toy).
*Fiddly rewind knob - much smaller than on the 3 (but better than the 4's annoying rewind thumbwheel)

The viewfinder is slightly better than on earlier feds, but it's still no competition for size or brightness with the Zorki viewfinders. I can't think of a single reason to choose a Fed 4 or 5 over the 3. Not a single one. Unless you really want a built in selenium light meter, there's no point to dealing with the extra size. I never said the 5s don't work right - they're just poorly made and awkward.

Given that the Fed 3 is so common and in many ways (if not all ways) better, there's no point in dealing with the later model Feds.

Just my two cents. The Zorki 4 isn't exactly small or ergonomic either, but at least it makes up for it by having a large viewfinder that justifies its size. [/i]

Here's a Fed 4 and 3 side by side. In extreme dimensions the 4 is only a couple millimeters taller (although the top plate is much taller, the meter dial is still only a few millimeters higher than the film counter on the 3 - but the 5's super tall film counter housing makes it even taller than the 3 and more awkward to shoot with).

FED-3 and FED-4 Vintage Cameras by TakenByTim Photography, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Drack wrote:

Does the Fed 5C have a better or brighter viewfinder than the Zorki 6?

Well it actually depends. Unlike the Fed-5C, the brightness of the Zorki-6 VF differs between models. I have two 6`s in my collection: one is very bright, just like a Zorki-4 is, and the other one is similar, if not darker than the 5C`s. Both of them are clean, CLA`d, etc., so dirt is not the issue here. In general, I`d say that the Zorki-6 wins, but the Fed is still very good.

No offense Mos6502, but you sound like an aristocrat complaining about the fact, that this week they only delivered 4 Ferrari`s instead of 5. This is a cheap camera, and you talking about things like size etc. This is a very subjective aspect that in my mind should be left untouched.
I agree on two things: that the lack of strap plugs is an issue ( but you can overcome it ), and that all the Fed-5`s that were made in the 90`s are poorly made. But Russians made 5`s since the late 70`s and earlier copes are very good, both in terms of fit and finish.

Again, I have held in my hands at least 400-500 Fed-5`s and a bit less than half of later Fed-2`s and 3`s. In more that 90% of cases the 5`s were fully usable. Some needed cleaning, some had meaningless problems, but almost none had broken shutters, holes in curtains, ripped ribbons etc. Unlike most Fed-3`s that have less durable shutters. I too like the looks of a Fed-3 more, but purely on my experience I`d go for a 5 since I know it will hold longer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:

No offense Mos6502, but you sound like an aristocrat complaining about the fact, that this week they only delivered 4 Ferrari`s instead of 5. This is a cheap camera, and you talking about things like size etc. This is a very subjective aspect that in my mind should be left untouched.

A lot of people buy soviet rangefinders because they don't want to (or don't have the means to) spend money on something like a Nikon or Leica RF. Keeping that in mind, you might want to find the best deal for your money. That's not an aristocrat complaining, it's a skinflint being picky. Wink