Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 17mm f3.5 AT-X Pro - nice full-frame lens for MF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Tokina 17mm f3.5 AT-X Pro - nice full-frame lens for MF Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melsnyder/14213042909/in/set-72157645074174446

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melsnyder/14539386281/in/set-72157645031947049

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melsnyder/13300854624/in/set-72157642668965644

First images post - if this doesn't work, sorry.

I bought this lens for my D70 back in 2007, and on APS-C it was sharper than my 20mm f2.8 Nikkor. I saved it on the possibility I might someday go FF, even though my 11-16mm Tokina replaced it on my Nikons.

Having switched to the Sony A7 from my D7000s (I own two for pro video), I dusted this off. First use was good, but a test suggested CA. More recent use suggests it's really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here Mel!

You can't just use a link without embedding it using top right IMG button, you also have to right click on your flickr image while being displayed in the wanted resolution and copy the link (has to have the ending .jpg), then paste it here using the IMG button.

for instance:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Welcome here Mel!

You can't just use a link without embedding it using top right IMG button, you also have to right click on your flickr image while being displayed in the wanted resolution and copy the link (has to have the ending .jpg), then paste it here using the IMG button.

Thanks, Klaus - did this work? Preview suggests yes, but...

I bought my NEX-6 to use with manual lenses, and my 1981 35mm f1.4 Summilux was great, but I rarely used others. Now, with my A7, I am tapping 40+ years of film lenses - and now, carry a 17-24-35-50-135 range in MF primes, and the 28-70 kit zoom when I need AF. My favorite lens on the A7 is my Canon FDn 24mm f2. I bought it in 1990, just before my son was born by cesarian, and shot his birth pus a lot of business OR chromes with it until it was clear digital was coming in. I was outraged when Canon abandoned the FD mount for EOS, and luckily resisted the temptation to sell them for peanuts.

Now, in the mirrorless era, I have vastly more lenses than I could ever dream of - and have stopped looking for "new old" ones. I have yet to use my Nikon AiS primes - the precious 85mm f2 and 105mm f2.5, and my heavy-as-lead Canon FDn 85mm f1.2L.

Thanks again, Klaus. I have been searching for a forum where people let their images do the talking - and manual focus was the norm.

Mel

PS: I still drive a six-speed manual transmission and use only morse code on ham radio - and my boat is a 38 foot sloop.[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite, as you used the "upload picture" function that load pictures from your PC to the server here (I edited that as there was a mixup of command).

Much easier would be, as you already have them ob flickr, to copy/paste the link to a flickr image, highlight that line and then click on "Img" (8th button from left on top), very easy and quick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with flickr it's even easier:

1. click on this

2. choose BBCode and the prefered size

3. click there.. copy this part and paste it here at mflenses.. just plain like text without using any.

Result will be this:

Nantucket Lightship_Tokina17-06334 von ct_digital_photog on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Test of a direct flickr upload Reply with quote

I do believe I now understand - easier that I thought!

Thanks Klaus & Tedat!

A shot of my daughter and first grandchild hours after his birth. I flew from Boston to San Francisco to be there, and my timing was excellent - as she approached me in baggage claim, she declared she was in labor. In my haste to get to SF, I "accidentally" picked up my 50mm F2 Summicron M for my NEX-6 instead of the 35mm f1.4 Summilux-M I intended. Result: I was "stuck" with a longer (on APS-C) lens than I like(d) for the event and 10 days afterward. Those 2 lenses are OLD - I bought the 50mm with my M4P in 1982, and the 35mm used from a Frankfurt camera store I chanced upon as the owner was pulling down the steel shutters for the night.

The image came out so well - despite my excitement and the slow (1/10th) shutter speed - that I made it into a 16x24 in. enlargement that hangs on my wall.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations with your newborn grandchild.
And with that great picture of your beautiful daughter with her child!
Thanks for sharing, even within a thread about the 17mm Tokina.
I first looked very surprised, such nice portrait with that superwide?? Shocked
But your text made it clear.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Congratulations with your newborn grandchild.
And with that great picture of your beautiful daughter with her child!
Thanks for sharing, even within a thread about the 17mm Tokina.
I first looked very surprised, such nice portrait with that superwide?? Shocked
But your text made it clear.

Sorry! I was just looking for a credible MF lens shot to upload as a test, and that was on my mind!