Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which one(s) to take ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Which one(s) to take ?? Reply with quote

Hello members.

I'm going to Paris for some days for work (nothing related to photography) but i want to take my sony a7 and some lenses of courses !!!
I have a difficult choice to do for me and need your advice.
The question is which lenses to take with me and without bringing them all Wink ???

I got :
-leica R summicron 35mm f2 ( sharp but hard focus ring )
-C/Y distagon 35mm ( smooth focus but less sharp than summicron ), planar 50mm (keeper), planar 85mm all 1.4
-minolta 35-70mm 3.5 macro
-sigma Emount 19mm & 30mm ( sharpest 30-35mm and smallest )
-C/Y yashica 24mm 2.8

for landscape i compare yashica vs sigma 19mm ( cropped to get same view) and the sigma is better in sharpness and contrat and weight.

if you have to take only 3 what would be your choice ?
thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take with me the Summicron and the 2 Planars. The'll cover well enough most situations, from landscapes to street portraits.

Why not the others?
The Minolta zoom has not so good corners on FF.
The Sigmas are not FF.
I have no experiance with the 28mm. C/Y.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summicron
Planar 50
and the Sigma.

Enjoy your stay.
Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These onepointfourers are soooooo sexy, no question to me, which three to take with!
- have a good time & don't get too much time taken by the job.
Razz
Thomas

AND GET YOUR SUMMICRON OVERHAULED!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your advices.

It seem's like every body like the summicron !!

@dan_ , the sigma is not full frame but quite usable in ff mode ( i removed the baffle and it vignet a little, i can crop maybe).
@duckrider, i search the definitin of "onepointfourers " on the net , i didn't found it Wink what did you mean ?
i can't overhauled the summicron Sad it'is already "fixed" and still very hard ( it has been projected in a car accident and was totaly jamed ). if someone try on in R version, how is the smoothness of the aperture ring ( can it be turned with a finger for exemple like all the carl zeiss ) ?

i will try to escape from job fast and go walking in Paris Smile

Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I just tried mine, it's got a very satisfying feel to it and turns with just the right amount of force. Still, if your works for now that's ok?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one(s) to take ?? Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:

-C/Y distagon 35mm ( smooth focus but less sharp than summicron ), planar 50mm (keeper), planar 85mm all 1.4
.... are the "onepointfourers"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cyrano thanks for trying.

i open the lens and clean the helicoid inside ( the grease became black ). I reassemble it, have to try 3 times to get infinity ok.
After the lens was full reassembled i remember that i forget something .... like to put new grease but the focus ring is smooth Wink.

Did you thing that i have to reopen it and put some grease ( i dont have special one, i use one for bike shame on me)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one(s) to take ?? Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
thebbm wrote:

.... are the "onepointfourers"

i get it now Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lenses to choose from. Paris is a magical place for photography!

Seems you have already decided but just pointing out that if the focus ring is stiff, you may get frustrated and not use it much then once space will be wasted. Why not C/Y 24mm, Distagon or Planar and one decent zoom if you like to capture architectural details (and have one handy), if not then 85mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in September of 2012 I asked a similar question, then didn't listen and took too many lenses with me on vacation. My destination was different; Bahamas. As it turned out, I used very few of them. I had two cameras, one dedicated to my Minolta 35-105, and the other my NEX. The lenses that I ended up using were, in addition to the Minolta, 35mm, 85mm and 90mm, although it could have been just one of them, 135mm, and 200mm. So if I had gone with just the one camera, I could have been happy with just four lenses. But it is also important to consider shooting style; I'm not much for landscapes, and the ones I did were at 35mm. I much prefer more tightly cropped shots of details. In the end I realized I needed no more than what I most choose on any other day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhargav wrote:
Great lenses to choose from. Paris is a magical place for photography!

Seems you have already decided but just pointing out that if the focus ring is stiff, you may get frustrated and not use it much then once space will be wasted. Why not C/Y 24mm, Distagon or Planar and one decent zoom if you like to capture architectural details (and have one handy), if not then 85mm.

i will take 3/4 lenses: the summicron, the planar 50mm (and maybe the 85mm), the 24mm if i need very wide lenses and the minolta 35-70mm. i will see in Paris each time i go out Wink

woodrim wrote:
But it is also important to consider shooting style. I'm not much for landscapes,

I'm like you, i like the 35mm and 50mm or 85mm, i like to shoot people even if most of the time i don't dare.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pictures are just for my own fun I often consciously pack the lenses I use least.

Gives me a chance to get to know them better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
If the pictures are just for my own fun I often consciously pack the lenses I use least.

Gives me a chance to get to know them better.

Pictures only for fun yes Wink

when i get a sony 5n i usually take the sigma 19mm&30mm and the distagon 35mm for night shoot. now with a7 i only make 3 outside shoot, i take the minolta and the distagon 35mm and planar 50mm 1.4 which i found the more pleasant to use (or maybe because it's my last bargain buy ). this time i will try the summicron instead of the distagon