Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Argus c33 any good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Argus c33 any good? Reply with quote

Wondering the above since they have an exchangeable lens mount and are newer than the c3.
If I wanted to buy an Argus rangefinder what would be the best bet?
I have heard they are reliable and can have a good rangefinder window.

Thank you for any information, especially if you have used them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one but sold it. Hey, I can't collect everything!
Mine was working well, so I can't say how these tend to break or how well they age.
There actually seems to be a collectors market for these.
My impression was that it was better made than the C3s and of course had major technical improvements, rangefinder, advance lever, etc. I did not have the wide and tele lens, but I suspect they are the same as those for the Argus C44. Well made. Unfortunately they are unique to this camera.
Finder is a bit squinty, and not as good as that on 50+ Japanese rangefinders of the time. On the other hand it seems easier to open clean adjust and fix.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I had one but sold it. Hey, I can't collect everything!
Mine was working well, so I can't say how these tend to break or how well they age.
There actually seems to be a collectors market for these.
My impression was that it was better made than the C3s and of course had major technical improvements, rangefinder, advance lever, etc. I did not have the wide and tele lens, but I suspect they are the same as those for the Argus C44. Well made. Unfortunately they are unique to this camera.
Finder is a bit squinty, and not as good as that on 50+ Japanese rangefinders of the time. On the other hand it seems easier to open clean adjust and fix.

Thank you for the information. I was attracted to the Argus because I have heard they are pretty reliable and easy to
repair also. Also they can be fairly inexpensive. Does any one of them have a better finder than the C3 or C33? The C4 or C44 for example? I like the look of the C4 and 44 better than the 3 and 33. I was thinking of picking one up in the US next time I visit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C4/C44 (same design in that area) may be the best of the lot as far as finders.

Also the nicest looking (conventionally speaking), but still rather "industrial" fit and finish.
The shutters are very similar to the C3, and I think the C33 - I didnt open my C33 so I cant say for sure.

As for the best combination of "unusual" plus 'elegant", in a weird way, you cant do better than the late C3 (Matchmatic) in two tone finish AKA the Harry Potter camera.
http://www.theothermartintaylor.com/moveabletype/archives/cameras/000009.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luis. Interesting link too.
One other thing, many times the c44 is heavily criticized, is that for the lens changing system more than for
the picture taking quality? Any way I suppose it would be a good idea to read the manuals for the respective
cameras to get an idea what I would be getting into. Right now I have a Zorki 6 which is fairly simple to use.
I am partially inspired to buy one after seeing your "kit" shown here and also other forum members have used them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are absolutely no competition for Zorki.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
They are absolutely no competition for Zorki.

Really? Thanks for the comparison. I won't spend too much money on one then, but I would still like to have one.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorkis have a Leica type focal plane shutter that can go to 1/1000 and slow speeds down to 1 sec., and they take an excellent collection of lenses, including some of the best ever seen. There are even new lenses for this mount that you can use on that body. Later Zorkis also have better viewfinders.

The Argus cameras shutter only goes from 1/25 to 1/300. Its a good system for casual photography, if one understands the limitations, but its likely you will be wishing for 1/1000. The lenses available are adequate but extremely limited.

Earlier Zorkis that I have seen also have better fit and finish than any Argus.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Zorkis have a Leica type focal plane shutter that can go to 1/1000 and slow speeds down to 1 sec., and they take an excellent collection of lenses, including some of the best ever seen. There are even new lenses for this mount that you can use on that body. Later Zorkis also have better viewfinders.

The Argus cameras shutter only goes from 1/25 to 1/300. Its a good system for casual photography, if one understands the limitations, but its likely you will be wishing for 1/1000. The lenses available are adequate but extremely limited.

Earlier Zorkis that I have seen also have better fit and finish than any Argus.

But they are made in the USA. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argus cameras are a symptom of the fundamental problem the US has long had with many kinds of manufacturing. I apologize going on this, but economic history is one of my avocations. The US has always had very high labor costs, especially for skilled technical labor. This is why there was never a successful US competitor for Leica/Contax or even Exakta. The technical ability was there - see the Kodak Ektra or the Bell&Howell Foton -but too much skilled labor required. US manufacturers were somewhat protected from competition through tarriffs until the Bretton-Woods agreement. Then the foreign competition became too intense. Argus was one of several US makers that tried to make design and mass production substitute for skilled labor. Ultimately that failed. Old Argus cameras are artifacts of an old economic battle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bit of economic history. Well, if I buy one I can have an intelligent discussion with whoever is interested.
So a better USA camera should be made before the Bretton-Woods agreement it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the best ones that were pro grade existed until the mid-1950's. After that the only US-made cameras were cheap consumer things, with a few exceptions for those like Polaroid which were protected by patents.

In the 1900s-1950 the foreign competition was already getting strong, which is why the US was always a big importer of cameras and lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yes, the best ones that were pro grade existed until the mid-1950's. After that the only US-made cameras were cheap consumer things, with a few exceptions for those like Polaroid which were protected by patents.

In the 1900s-1950 the foreign competition was already getting strong, which is why the US was always a big importer of cameras and lenses.

Any 35mm cameras included in those pro grade models or were they mostly medium format?
Perhaps I should save for a Speed Graphic. A medium format camera with a rangefinder or other focusing
system could be nice. But that would be another topic.