Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MD Rokkor-X 50/1.4 conversion to EOS with video
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: MD Rokkor-X 50/1.4 conversion to EOS with video Reply with quote

As suggested by a member to post here:

Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 conversion to Canon EOS

Folks this is a 24 minute video, so if you want see full detail on how this conversion is done, then go grab a drink Smile I'm pretty sure this is the most detailed-documented procedure on how to convert a Minolta MD lens to Canon EOS. It is of my opinion that the best Minolta SR mount 50mm primes were the MD Rokkor-X 50/1.2 and 50/1.4. By this time in Minolta's manual SLR lens development they had figured out the best coatings, saved some weight and size, and engineered their best aperture diaphragm (hence MD for Minimum Diaphragm). This lens is Minolta's second gen. MD lens. The last and 3rd generation were perhaps just a good optically, but they builds were of more plastic.

Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 conversion to Canon EOS

Sample photos will only be posted HERE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Converted older version of Rokkor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice well made video. I think he would have fewer problems with the adapter if he used a 49mm reversing ring rather than an M42 adapter.

Destructive adapting a lens like this is unnecessary if you buy one of these and adjust infinity as he shows on the video... Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true...non-destructive is best; however reading details on this adapter it states: and with 50mm lenses on full frame camera such as 5D, focus distance is about 5-6 meters

Well, my way actually provides infinity focus at f/8. Wide open I can't get infinity but I can get close...maybe 15 meters.

-Roy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:

Well, my way actually provides infinity focus at f/8. Wide open I can't get infinity but I can get close...maybe 15 meters.
-Roy

Your way provide infinity at wide open)) Need to cut little bit more to get infinity.

I have converted the same way:
50 1.4 x2 (all the same as in my photo)
58 1.4 x3
50 1.7 x 3 (different barrels)
MD 50 1.7 (mostly plastic)
MD 135 3.5
135 2.8 (old barrel)

non minolta, but MD
Wep Auto 135 2.8
Vivitar Series 1 135 2.1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gothic_Snake wrote:
motleypixel wrote:

-Roy

Your way provide infinity at wide open)) Need to cut little bit more to get infinity.

Not just cut but also extreme infinity focus adjustment as well. I not only cut mount area but also the rear elements housing. When testing I had mirror collision so I slightly adjusted infinity focus just until mirror clears. FYI, on FF sensor (5D MkII)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:
It's true...non-destructive is best; however reading details on this adapter it states: and with 50mm lenses on full frame camera such as 5D, focus distance is about 5-6 meters

-Roy

This is correct but with the infinity adjustment you do anyway it ought to work. I'm not suggesting its an equivalent alternative.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motleypixel wrote:

Not just cut but also extreme infinity focus adjustment as well. I not only cut mount area but also the rear elements housing. When testing I had mirror collision so I slightly adjusted infinity focus just until mirror clears. FYI, on FF sensor (5D MkII)

I have 5dII and know about mirror problems. In first lenses i grind rear element housing, but in last not. cause i don't shot this lens at infinity so no reason for me. Thanks for advice anyway!)