Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair 3S vs Canon EF 300/4 L (non IS)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Tair 3S vs Canon EF 300/4 L (non IS) Reply with quote

I love my Tair 3S that I usually walked around with this huge lens for random portraits, big birds and other animals. However, since I'm not quick enough for flying birds and moving things in general, I decided that I need a good AF tele lens. Finally I came up with Canon EF 300mm f/4 L, the non-IS version and also the cheapest that I can find (about $700). So I'm curious to see whether this red ring lens can outperform Tair or not. I did few shots for quick comparison. Tests were done on my Canon 6D, same conditions with shots using the two lenses.

Tair-3S looks huge compared to Canon lens, but actually their weights are quite similar.

The closest focus distance of Tair is quite long (3m vs 2.5m with non-IS 300mm L and 1.5m with IS version) but Tair can reach a bit further than Canon. My Tair was bought from an old camera shop with $70 and it has a rear part modified to Pentax 645 mount, so I have to use a Pentax 645 - EOS adapter to mount it on my camera. I don't know if it affects the lens or not, but at least it can focus to infinity. The two photos look very similar and Canon L wins in term of contrast and it absorbs more light. The front glass of Canon is bigger than Tair (77mm vs 72mm).

CA of Tair is little bit worse than Canon, still acceptable to me. Since I took the photos indoor, ISO 1000 was used.

Another shot, I tried to frame the photos similarly and check the IQ. Even though at 100% crop Canon clearly wins, it's not that easy to distinguish the two photos with small size if the brightness is adjusted to the same level.

I'm still amazed by the quality of Tair 3S, with 1/10 the budget, that's nothing to complain about this lens. I wish that I can find the whole Fotosnaiper set to complete this Tair but seems like this set is overpriced now Sad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tair 3S, but I want to use it more often. You can't ask more for that great price. I like the bokeh at 4.5, but mine is a little bit too soft.
In my case I have a Nikon and some guy told me that I should remove the M42 mount and replace it with a T2/Nikon F mount and I will also have infinity focus. I don't know...