Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ISCO - Gottingen Edixa - Westanar 150mm f/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: ISCO - Gottingen Edixa - Westanar 150mm f/4.5 Reply with quote

In a recent post I was somewhat critical of slow lenses, stating that I would much rather have the faster lens if only for viewfinder brightness. Now with that said, I've just purchased this lens. I have not seen mention of the 150mm Westanar, so the apparent rarity factor along with the fact that I do not have a 150mm led to my interest. I do not have it yet, but will have the usual fun of trying it out once it arrives.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find ... Awaiting some sample pictures ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have also mentioned that this lens is M42, but I think that is implied by the "Edixa".

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens and two others arrived today. I took the ISCO out first because I've never had one and I was very curious about it. I don't think it has been reviewed here before. Nice round diaphragm, but took all pictures today wide open. It has a reasonable MFD for the focal length - maybe about four feet - I'll have to measure.

It seems sharper than what I expected. Most pictures I took were in focus, so it didn't present any difficulty focusing. Contrast seems good as do colors. Bokeh is busy, but maybe to be expected from a slow f4.5 lens. I immediately went to the purple flowers as they have been a real CA challenge for my lenses. This lens did amazingly well with blue/purple fringing only in the more extreme views; with most images there was little present. I have done no CA correction on these images.

I would normally steer away from a lens this slow, but went for this one because of its rarity and intregue. I will likely keep it not only because it is the only one I have at this focal length, but I actually like it. I look forward to taking it out on a real photo tour. And maybe some portraits.

1- Very slight crop

2-

3-

Last edited by woodrim on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my twin-tele tamron 135mm f4.5 too. Who needs fast lenses?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got out to do more meaningful pictures. I do like this lens although I don't think it's as good as my better 135mm lenses and my best 200mm, but it does fit well in between.

7 The butcher of Shem Creek...

8 Oh, the horror that awaits...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bird! Smile Smile Smile Smile

I must acquire a 150 one of these days. Slow or fast, that doesn't matter. The closest I have now is a Wollensak Enlarging Raptar 162/4.5 on tubes+bellows. Of course I could always put the SuperTakumar 50/1.4 on a 3x TC to make a 150/4.2, but that just wouldn't be the same. Nice find, there!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely sharp shots and good colours from this interesting old lens. I guess slower lenses don't always suffer the same CA problems as fast lenses.

Another lens in this range is the much maligned Super Takumar 150mm. I must take it out some time...I only bought it for the same reason as you...I didn't have a 150mm prime Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, #7! Look at the Humble?!?!

I didn't see it first because of the interesting bokeh Very Happy
Love the bokeh, a real painter Wink

I have the silver version of this lens, untested, but you inspired me to take it out for a walk know!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a nice lens and so rare ! I like best lady pictures , great series!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Wow, #7! Look at the Humble?!?!

I didn't see it first because of the interesting bokeh Very Happy
Love the bokeh, a real painter Wink

I have the silver version of this lens, untested, but you inspired me to take it out for a walk know!

I didn't understand until I realized it was the first picture number 7. We call them bumblebees. All luck to capture them in flight.

Thanks all for comments.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have a Sony camera, I also participate occasionally in the Dyxum forums. They have various photo themes and one is a challenge started a short while back called "the day prime thread", where participants are challenged to use prime lenses equaling the focal length of that day count. It is as simple as counting days since startingthe thread - yesterday was the 150th day and I seem to be alone with that focal length. As you can imagine, the 135th day had a lot of contributors. The photos must be taken with that focal length and on that day, so there lies the challenge. After doing all the work, I've decided to share them here too. I missed the focus on the portraits at the end, so now call them soft portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Design looks very similar to Rollei Rolleinars Smile. While Westanar 4/180mm is one of my favorites I must also try this focal some day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally just paid for the silver version of this lens. From what I see here with your images woodrim it should be a very nice lens. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, congratulations. A slow lens, for sure, but good otherwise. I tend to like the older versions of lenses. Perhaps that's just a sympathy thing since I too am getting older. This black one I have is quite smart looking and a better build than the 135mm I recently picked up. Pleaseshre your images and feel free to add onto this thread if you wish.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will when it gets here,I too like the look of these old lenses and that they take good pictures is a bonus.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I first posted about this lens. I took it out yesterday evening because it was the 150th day of the year. We've been getting a visitor every evening since first making the mistake of feeding him.