Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

F2.8 wide zooms, starting ~20mm or wider?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: F2.8 wide zooms, starting ~20mm or wider? Reply with quote

Hi all. I found a 35-105mm F2.8 Tamron for cheap and attached to my focal reducer on MFT - I'm liking the results (pics to follow).
This gives me a 25-75mm F2.0 zoom, 50-150mm equivalent fov on my EP3.

I'm actually a little surprised at the quality. I had it in my mind that legacy zooms were bad, but the quality here is very nice, especially down one stop. It's also small for a 2.8.

Now I'm curious about what F2.8 zooms are available that would give me below 50mm fov. Anything adaptable to EF is game, but of course I'll need aperture control. What options are there?

At the moment I can only think of a 20-35mm F2.8 Tokina. Cost is of course a factor.

Thanks!
Beo

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most lenses will look exceptional on MFT because you are using only the centre.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That combination for wide angle zooms is going to be very restricting - especially in MF lenses.
Even modern AF wide zooms are mostly not close to 2.8.
Good luck
OH

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Series 1 28-90 / 2.8-3.5 is a beauty.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
Vivitar Series 1 28-90 / 2.8-3.5 is a beauty.

Yes, I agree with you, this is a fine lens.
I must have misunderstood - I thought that the OP wanted a zoom lens of 20mm or wider.
I have a Sigma 10-20 AF and also MF of course that I would recommend, but it is nowhere near f2.8. I think f4 is its widest and only at one end of the zoom range.
If the Vivitar (Komine) 28-90 suits, then go for it as it is normally excellent.
OH

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right OH. I was a little confused. I have 2 copies of that Vivitar and it makes beautiful pics. I think I saw a thread when I was looking back at some point where you had taken some fine photos with that lens. The 28-90 is one of those lenses I couls shoot with all the time, wondering all the while why I had so many others.

I had the Sigma 10-20 for Sony Alpha. It was my first big lens purchase after getting into digital photography as an adult. I remember agonizing over the $500. Later I had the Tamron 10-24 and that Samyang 8mm. I never used the faster version of the Sigma, but I really loved that lens for many things. I remember going on a photo walk five years or so ago thinking I would shoot some buildings. All of a sudden a frigging coyote was there about 10 feet away. And there I was with nothing but an UWA lens. I have a pic where the thingnlooks tiny amidst the giant parking lot I was standing in. Lol.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Most lenses will look exceptional on MFT because you are using only the centre.

Not with adapters like the Speed Booster, the projected image circle is reduced to match the crop sensor, so in this case it's a 4/3 crop of the normal field of view.

OP: you didn't say which mount of focal reducer you have,
There is this: FD 20-35/3.5L
http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdzooms/2035.htm
Edit: I see you said EF later in your post, so naturally the 16-35 comes to mind from canon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF mount, so most stuff is up for grabs Smile
Sorry I haven't responded earlier. Main media hard disk giving problems, so had to pick up a couple drives.

I figured this would be a tough one. BTW, I have the Vivitar 28-90 already. Think I prefer the tamron though.

The 20-35mm looks promising, thanks! On the focal reducer it would be f2.5. Would require an edmika conversion, but that's not to bad.

Any idea if the aperture ring on this Tokina works if not on a powered mount?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokina-AT-X-20-35-mm-F-2-8-AF-Lens-For-Nikon-/121347951754?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1c40e6cc8a
I prefer straight up manual lenses though. Focus movement is so much another.