Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma AF 18-200 vs Tamron SP 60-300 MF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Sigma AF 18-200 vs Tamron SP 60-300 MF Reply with quote

I was at work and friend of mine got 30D from the post and it had that Sigma
lens included.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3302&navigator=6

I had my camera bag with me because it was so nice sunny day.
He gave the lens for me for a while and I used part of my lunch break to shoot some test photos with both lenses from same target and distance using about the same focal lenght "200mm" and same aperture.

http://taneli.homelinux.net/albums/SigmaAfVsTamronMF/photo.jpg
Bigger - The target

Here are unsharpened center 100% crops

1. Sigma 18-200 at f/6.3

2. Tamron SP 60-300 at f/6.x? maybe the same after 5.6 Smile

3. Sigma 18-200 at f/8

4. Tamron SP 60-300 at f/8

That Sigma zoom works a lot better on the wide end.. Over 100mm and it
get's worse...
Price for the lens here is about 200 euros so it is a cheap one but I would
not use my money for it... About 30 euros for the Tamron was a good deal though. Smile

My friend was also amazed how good that old Tamron is and for such low
price.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice test!
The only good with this AF is the relative low distortion even at 18mm (2.77%), low weight 360g and a super scale 18-200
Tip: for less than 400 euros you can also have the IS version Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an obvious difference!
But actually it is not fair to compare an 18-200 with a 60-300. It is much more difficult to construct a wide-to-tele lens than a tele zoom.
And the 60-300 is one of the best tele zoom lenses I know of.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this kind of test a sharpness test only, most of quality AF lenses can be sharper or same sharp than an MF lens. Difference is the "ART" AF lens like modern block houses , MF lenses like Japanese or European historical buildings.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten wrote:
it is not fair to compare an 18-200 with a 60-300

it is fair because
- the sigma is a crop only and it is more easy to make zoom for a crop dslr
- the tamron is 25 year old and certainly not the best zoom of that time. Don't forget that zoom was far away from quality of fixed lens
- the sigma have Two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements and two hybrid aspherical lenses and if you check the mtf at the sigma web side you could think it is way better than the tamron
- many people believe that modern zoom are way better than old one and such test are instructive
- the tamron cost 30 euros and the sigma 600$ (200 euros just because it is already a old product by today standard, last year I was considering one for more than 400 euros)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Photozone test you can see the resolution drops on 200mm
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/320-sigma-af-18-200mm-f35-63-dc-lab-test-report--review?start=1

Of course there is differences in differend lenses from the same model... Should not be as much as before? But there is quite often.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Carsten wrote:
it is not fair to compare an 18-200 with a 60-300

it is fair because
- the sigma is a crop only and it is more easy to make zoom for a crop dslr
- the tamron is 25 year old and certainly not the best zoom of that time. Don't forget that zoom was far away from quality of fixed lens
- the sigma have Two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass elements and two hybrid aspherical lenses and if you check the mtf at the sigma web side you could think it is way better than the tamron
- many people believe that modern zoom are way better than old one and such test are instructive
- the tamron cost 30 euros and the sigma 600$ (200 euros just because it is already a old product by today standard, last year I was considering one for more than 400 euros)

Come on, the Sigma starts at 18mm, crop lens or not, such a focal range cannot be realized without major drawbacks in some points.
It would be neither fair to compare a 60-300 to a 28-300 (non-crop!).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes interesting but comparing two lenses with such differing focal lengths isn't 'fair'. Ignoring the starting point a zooms optimal performance is almost always in the middle of it's focal range rather thanat the extreme end when it almost inevitably drops off.

Having said all this I suspect the Tamron would do okay compared to most modern 70-300's.