Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

At a loss.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: At a loss. Reply with quote

Recently I ened up with these on trade:

Schneinder-Kreuznach retina (DKL mount) MF lenses
DKL to EOS adapter for use with 5Dmk2
35 F2.8
50 F2.8
50 F1.9
85 F4
135 F4

I have no idea what to do with them. The're hard to use on my 5Dmk2. I'm thinking of getting rid of them. They all seem to work and when I manage to get critcal focus they seem sharp enough. I just can not manage to work up any passion for them.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like them, sell them.
They are quite marketable.
Lots of collectors are after these.
Very easy to move them on ebay.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. Might do just the opposite and find a native mount camera to hang these on. Rather have some Minolta MD glass I think,

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The native mount are the Retina Reflex S, III and IV.
Lovely cameras, as with the lenses.
My first SLR actually was my Dads Retina Reflex S. He used it for a decade and I used it for another decade.
They can spoil you for other systems. Smooth, quiet operation and full of thoughtful automation. These were the highest tech cameras of their day (1958-63 or so), and the pinnacle of mechanical workmanship - well, maybe the Zeiss Contarex people will object.

Trouble is that these are fundamentally unreliable over time. They haven't aged well. And extremely complex so very hard to repair.
Its quite hard to find a working body.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: At a loss. Reply with quote

Lens Pirate wrote:
Recently I ened up with these on trade:

Schneinder-Kreuznach retina (DKL mount) MF lenses
DKL to EOS adapter for use with 5Dmk2
35 F2.8
50 F2.8
50 F1.9
85 F4
135 F4

I have no idea what to do with them. The're hard to use on my 5Dmk2. I'm thinking of getting rid of them. They all seem to work and when I manage to get critcal focus they seem sharp enough. I just can not manage to work up any passion for them.

A great many forum members wish they had your "problem". I'm one of them. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI there,

I have a similar set of lenses, and most of the Voigtlander (Bessamatic style) DKL's as well. The Kodak lenses could be had as either Schneider's or Rodenstock's. I find the Rodenstocks might be a tad better. While none of these lenses are outstanding (my opinion here), they are not without their charms. The craftsmanship is excellent and they feel silky smooth in use. They have nice little features like deep knurls and mechanical DOF indicators, etc. They do require a considered approach to your photography. They have very conservative close focus distances. They aren't the fastest lenses around and sometimes the DKL converters you have to use have finicky aperture controls. All that said, I like using them and find them attractive.

The Retina Reflex cameras (all except the first fixed-lens model) as previously stated were the bodies for which these lenses were made, but don't forget that the absolutely beautiful Retina IIIS rangefinder also used these lenses. That camera is probably one of the better US made interchangeable lens RF ever made - and you have almost a full set of lenses for it!

Paul

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this man:
http://www.cameraquest.com/ret3s.htm

Wish, I had Your problems.....

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to list this set on E-bay. I'm 53 years old. I have enough equipment to keep me busy until I die and never have time to masters these. Might as well pass them on. Would like to see them go to a good home were they will get used.