Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Show us the bad lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Show us the bad lens Reply with quote

Hi,
I am looking on lenses reviews and pretty much everyone looks happy happy. I was just wondering if one can share an example of a lens that was finding results as bad!

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't happy with MC Zenitar 50/1.9. Rather soft wide open, very low contrast and extremely prone to flare.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe saved with PP, nice colours & hope you don't mind.Regards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad reviews are rare because we wan't to resell our lenses Wink
Also bad lenses are often not worth to make a review.

I wasn't happy with Industar-61 55/2.8 L/D for example
For my taste terrible colors and it suffered from flaring, low resolution (sweet spot F8-F11), low speed, vignetting, distortion,...

Tarcus 50mm F1.3 - terrible CAs, vignetting, etc., also stopped down very noticable.

Olympus OM 50/1.2 - the softest 50mm lens I've ever seen and not even cheap Smile Used it only once and sold it immediatly

Jupiter-8 and -8M 50/2 - Often it has good reviews, but in terms of sharpness, contrast, distortion,... it's (or at least my copies were) almost always inferior to all more modern 50mm lenses from Minolta, Konica, Canon,.... - only good point to use it is that it has LTM RF-coupling (though my copies were always slightly inaccurate), it's compact and has smooth bokeh. I hope some people here won't kill me now for telling this Wink

Voigtländer Nokton 50/1.1 - Decent sharpness wide open, nice build, but mediocre oof-transition and quite bad bokeh, and it don't gets decent when stopped down, which I would expect more for an 800€ (used) lens.

Voigtländer Nokton 35/1.4 - Quite soft wide open, glowy, CA's, vignetting, coma,... also still not decent when stopped down, maybe even Konica AR 40/1.8 is better Wink... I didn't like it at all for its price. Though it's said to work much better on FF sensors (I've used it on NEX-C3)

Leitz Elmarit-M 90/2.8 (first version I think) - The copy I had was just terrible. Terribly low contrast, soft wide open,... I'm still not sure if it was only my copy, but it was bad optically. Later versions are said to be mega-awesome though.

There are many other rather crappy (in terms of sharpness) lenses I had but at least they have some interesting characterisitics, like Domiplans and other triplet lenses around 50mm.

I also had maaaany zooms and mirror lenses I wasn't happy with, both vintage and quite modern, some really eye-raping for my taste Wink Especially some japanese zoom lenses were making an simple Tessar looking like an Zeiss Otus.

I could give you more bad reviews if you need them Wink

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:45 pm; edited 8 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:

Now this is true Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
I wasn't happy with MC Zenitar 50/1.9. Rather soft wide open, very low contrast and extremely prone to flare.

Pretty much the same as my pre-war Leitz Summar 50/2. However, despite its technical flaws, it's one of my favourite lenses.
http://forum.mflenses.com/leitz-summar-2-50mm-from-1937-t57300.html
PP does wonders for those type of lenses as kryss so ably shown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Maybe saved with PP, nice colours & hope you don't mind.Regards

That I did, post-processing doesn't help much. No way of getting true colors and natural contrast. Wide open, this lens was a "special effect" lens for me. It could be that I had an especially bad sample though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

Now this is true Smile

Smile yes

seriously trash lens not go to sell by me , it's going to trash bin.

often lens has issues itself , dust inside much, many micro marks, miss aligned elements.
So A people say nice, B people say crappy..

Remarkable trash in my experience many 'noname' Japanese zooms and primes sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the final judgment for results from an old lens should be :- If it's crap on a film camera AND 4/3 and full frame digital camera, then it must be crap. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most sensitive device to lens quality is small sensor in my experience, m4/3, all others more forgivable to lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fermy....thanks for compliment,I shoot mainly Macro flora and love your tulips.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I don't know many crap lenses, I love the effects of the crappy fujinon 35mm and cheap ass pentacon auto 50mm, some are soft others are soft and low in colours and contrast but if you go for a real vintage look anything goes. Even with a crappy lens you can still take nice pictures. There are really crappy lenses like the plastic/toy lenses etc. but most glass optics are fun to play with when you accept their short comings (and that might be hard when you're used to CZ or modern AF lenses . Laughing )
All these older MF lenses have a character of their own, if you want crap buy a canon 18-55 AF lens.
There are sufficient sub standard lenses out there, I'm talking to you pangagor, pentor & avanar. but looking at pictures from 'crappy' lenses on a sony a7, compared to the 18-55 lens (sony and canon) I had in the past.. I rather have 10 so called crappy old lenses Razz

fermy wrote:
aoleg wrote:

Pretty much the same as my pre-war Leitz Summar 50/2. However, despite its technical flaws, it's one of my favourite lenses.
http://forum.mflenses.com/leitz-summar-2-50mm-from-1937-t57300.html
PP does wonders for those type of lenses as kryss so ably shown

I actually like that picture!! The bokeh and softness is a great match.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Most sensitive device to lens quality is small sensor in my experience, m4/3, all others more forgivable to lenses.

Well depends on if there's an sweet spot and if yes how large it is.
µFT needs high center peformance, FF needs very good corner performance, 1.5x APS-C is least demanding most non-tele vintage lenses in my experience Smile

Attila wrote:
Pontus wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:

Now this is true Smile

Smile yes

seriously trash lens not go to sell by me , it's going to trash bin.

+1
I'm never selling real crap lenses (sigma, makinon,...) aswell, they are dying for experiements or rotting in an box... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the freshman can still have the same.. I can not see how a lens can destroy a good composition.
Let the flam start!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 If the picture is well planned and prepared, lens, camera, all that wank just doesn't matter.

And because of that, all my lenses outstrip my capacity for artistic vision Razz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogtag wrote:

I actually like that picture!! The bokeh and softness is a great match.

Ha, I like that picture as well. As I said, technically the lens is flawed by today's standards, but it's one of my favourites.

Kryss, thanks for the compliment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy...... My pleasure. I may be interested in your Tair kit if shipping to Canada postal code T2H 1B7 is acceptable,even deep sea.Regards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
+1 If the picture is well planned and prepared, lens, camera, all that wank just doesn't matter.

And because of that, all my lenses outstrip my capacity for artistic vision Razz

Maybe you've never had a really crappy lens Wink ?
Of course you can make great pictures with rather crappy lenses but the same pictures are generally getting better with better lenses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People often tell on failure 'art' instead of trash Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
People often tell on failure 'art' instead of trash Laughing Laughing

I can't believe anyone here would do that Attila, we have high standards ! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd... thanks for the belly laugh,I needed it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
fermy...... My pleasure. I may be interested in your Tair kit if shipping to Canada postal code T2H 1B7 is acceptable,even deep sea.Regards.

Kryss, I'll ship anywhere where dhl goes. Deep sea is not on the list, but Canada is. PM sent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Hoya 135/2.8 in a garage sale for cheap, I had some expectations because it's hard to fail with a 135/2.8, and their 28/2.8 is rather nice... But this is just terrible. Soft until f/8, no character, even the lens is ugly to look at. Stay away from it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color Skopar 35/2.5 simply does not work with my A7 ( vignette, color shift) , a big disappointment.
The Helios 44 ( 2 samples) with the same A7 .